Chapter 20

Cole continued to bark orders as he glared at the wolves who were supposed to get me to safety, shaking his head and growling at them for not doing their job. They couldn't though. People were firing wolfsbane arrows at us at rapid speed, more of them hitting other warriors and causing them to crumble to the ground in pain.

Luckily, some of them were able to push themselves back onto their feet and yank the arrows from their bodies, but I could tell just how weakened they were as they hissed and cursed while shifting.

Cole grabbed me by the arm, pulling me back into the apartment complex and guiding me under the reception desk table along with a guidance councillor. He crouched down in front of me, hooking his finger under my chin. "Stay here until it's safe to come out. I'm serious, Reya. Do. Not. Move."

He disappeared before I had the chance to respond, and the guidance councillor pushed herself further back into the dark mahogany. She looked frightened, but composed at the same time. Wolves were used to humans wanting to hunt them, and it appeared that this had come as no surprise.

Peering my head out from the desk, I gazed at the other humans, noticing how afraid and fearful the majority of them looked as they sheltered under desks or cowered in the corner of the room. It looked like they had no idea what was going on with their wide eyes and hunched stances, but, I knew that they could all just be good actors.

"What the hell is going on?" yelled one of the older humans, her voice loud and booming as she shouted over the yells and howls from outside. Some of the humans had tried to make a run for it, but the wolves had ushered them back inside, making sure we didn't lose any of them. If they were the reason for this, then they needed to stay put.

"We're being attacked," the warrior at the door stated, peering outside and scrunching his face up. "You all need to stay here until it's safe to leave."

"Leave? To go where?" the human responded back, agitated as she began to pace, dodging the crumbling roof of the apartment complex, rubble collapsing onto the ground, dust wafting through the air. It made me cough, gaining the attention of a few humans who glared.

"It's not safe in here," I mumbled, standing up, the guidance councillor hiding with me widening her eyes and encouraging me to sit back down next to her. "This place is about to crumble. We'll be crushed if we stay in here."

The warrior shook his head at me. "Alpha Cole hasn't given the order that we can leave yet. We need to wait in here as long as we possibly can."

"Where is he?" I pressed, moving over to the doors and attempting to look through them, pleading with the warrior to step out of the way. My heart was pounding. We didn't know who was attacking us and why, but we knew that if they had weapons made with wolfsbane, they were out to kill. Even though Cole was an Alpha, he wasn't invincible. Wolfsbane still affected him.

"Let us out!" yelled a young male human, storming towards the warrior as he gestured towards Bill, his limp and blood covered body causing us all to gulp. It was clear that he was dead. "We're all going to meet the same fate as him if we don't leave!"

I turned to the younger male- looking around my age. However, I didn't recognise him, and I gathered that he had been trained at a different venue to me.

"It's humans," I muttered, shaking my head. "Wolves wouldn't use wolfsbane. How did they know you were here? What have you done?" I spat at the young boy, the older human woman scoffing and storming up to me, wiggling her finger in my face.

"We've done nothing," she growled. "Do you think we wanted Bill dead? We have no way to contact anybody out here, so stop being so ridiculous. You're the one siding with the natural born enemy."