Chapter 1

Izuku Midoriya was a miserable boy.

It was not uncommon in Japan, but he didn't have a father. Fair enough — as much of a burden as it was, his mother was an angel sent from heaven and she took care of him better than some unemployed, "all expenses paid by husband" type of mothers that didn't work took care of their children.

However, it appears the heavens wanted her back, because when he was five years old, she died in an event that might as well have been a repetition of the holocaust of the post-quirk world. Perhaps Midoriya wouldn't have understood the significance of his mother's death, after all, he was too young. But no, he did understand. He loved his mother very much, that was one, but second? His mother had died before his eyes. There was no way he wouldn't understand the true pain of the death of a relative, his only known relative.

One would say Midoriya was cursed, but that day, he was blessed. Midoriya's quirk had not manifested. It never manifested, as a matter of fact, but at the time, it was still possible, and they were still awaiting passionately for that day with his mother. If not for that, he would have been buried alongside his mother.

They had been visiting friends from a neighboring city, since it was some boy's birthday and the Midoriyas had been invited. It was a nice party; the boy had both his parents and they could afford luxuries Izuku didn't consider asking, and Inko didn't dare offer. Midoriya was incredibly excited to try the cake, especially considering the children didn't want to play with someone without powers and he was deemed boring. He waited patiently on his mother's lap as the parents disappeared into the house to get the cake and light the candles.

They didn't come out with the candles, and he didn't get the cake.

There was screaming. Izuku didn't really register it at first, but some adults stood up to check. They ran back, screaming, seconds later, only for one to quite literally evaporate and the other splash into a puddle of water on the floor. All that was left was their respective form of remnants, as steam and water, and some fog that followed them outside. Inko had immediately grabbed him and headed for the garage on the opposite side, but the same fog had already filled up the air everywhere. Izuku didn't feel anything when he inhaled, but he knew that something was wrong when his mother threw him aside.

He doesn't remember what she said, her tone of voice too urgent, her way of speaking way too stuttery. He does remember how she died, though.

The garage had many instruments and other small objects flying around. Like a magnet, she attracted all of them to herself, pressing against her skin. The screwdrivers pierced her, the hammers hit her on the head, breaking her skull and bones. He couldn't see her by the end of it, and although he tried desperately, the objects were stuck to her and he couldn't get them off.

They called that event a warning of what was to come from quirks. Some sort of quirk singularity theory in the flesh. Midoriya just called it bullshit.

The Yakuza were blamed for the gas attack, and as the news articles later claimed, it appeared to be some sort of vaporized drug in huge doses that enhanced the power of quirk, causing them to become overpowered and uncontrollable.

Inko's quirk attracted small objects to herself, but it was weak and she couldn't attract more than one. Until her death, that is.

Midoriya didn't have any.

Truly a blessing, as Mitsuki later tried to get him to believe.

Mitsuki Bakugo was his foster mother. She was a close family friend and she couldn't stand the thought of little Izuku being put up for adoption, so she adopted him instead. They could afford it; after all, the Bakugos weren't divorced, had a house, and Masaru was a CEO with much more money than his soft, gentle face let on.