July

Delphi slid into the booth beside Oliver. "Okay, how do you two know each other?"

Oliver continued to look straight on at the man in front of him as he continuously rolled the wrapping from a straw between his thumb and pointer finger. "That's the man from that day. The man I caught with my mum."

Lionel stayed quiet. Adverting Oliver's eyes that were like daggers to him.

"How do you two know each other?" Oliver asked.

"We're siblings ─" Lionel started.

"HALF siblings," Delphi interjected.

Lionel furrowed his eyebrows at Delphi then focused back on Oliver. "We have the same dad. Listen, I didn't expect you to be at the same school as Delphina. I'm not stalking you or anything like that." He began to nervously rub his knuckle with his thumb before he started a new sentence. "But since I've run into you, I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to clear up some things."

"Like?" Oliver asked, not hiding his anger and annoyance.

"Well, me and your mum are not romantic with each other, that's for one. We never did anything inappropriate."

Oliver raised an eyebrow. "But that day I saw you two... What was that about?"

Lionel looked down at his lap trying to find the right words to say to Oliver. "It was just me being silly. I spun her around and we fell on the bed. We were cuddling. We didn't sleep together."

Delphi's eyebrows shot up as she studied their conversation.

"But it's still inappropriate. You two were doing that in secret when no one was there, so you know it's wrong."

"Yes! But that was it! Me and your mum connect with each other emotionally and that's all!"

Oliver scoffed. "That makes me feel SOOOOO much better," he said sarcastically. "An emotional affair is still an affair," Oliver leaned over towards Lionel, causing Lionel to lean a bit back. "And you want it to be more than that, don't you?"

Lionel stayed silent.

"You like her."

Lionel was hesitant, but he nodded. "Yes, I'm in love with her and if she'd allowed me to take it further I would've. I can tell that Jane loves me too."

"You're fucking crazy," Oliver said with astonishment in his voice.

"I saw her a few days ago and she told me everything," Lionel said.

"You saw her?" Anger creeped in Oliver's voice once more.

Lionel jolted and raised a hand to defend himself. "Not like that! I ran into her at the grocery store, and she told me everything before your dad showed up." The sigh he released carried an obvious hint of sadness. He looked back down at his lap. "But your mum loves your family, and it looks like she's trying her best to get in a good place with your dad, so..." He trailed off.

Oliver studied him. Listening to all this was a lot, practically over stimulating.

"Please, don't tell your dad about us!"

Oliver snapped out of his thoughts. "What?"

"Jane isn't going to see me anymore. I think she's blocked my number, and she deleted her online account and the way she looks at your dad..." Lionel began to choke back.

Oliver did a deep sigh and rolled his eyes. "You're on drugs if you think I'm going to sympathize with a home wrecker." He slid his backpack over his arm. "Excuse me, Delphi."