Chapter 17

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 17

Zoe

How embarrassing. How did I get myself into this situation? I'm not interested in Harper! He's a friend, a good one too. And a really good kisser! Someone shoot me now!

We were just talking. That's all, how everything changed, I don't know. One minute I was telling him about Sawyer and how he broke things off the next thing I knew I was melting in his arms. I don't know how that happened.

Now I'm stuck facing not just Sawyer but Georgia too. I'm not surprised by the surprise and a bit of hurt on Sawyer's face. It was out of the blue and with his cousin, of all people. But Georgia looked like the cat who ate the canary. I swear she was ready to cartwheel across the room if could have managed it.

Georgia wasn't just excited, she was thrilled by this turn of events. Why? I know she wants to see everyone in her family happy. Of course she does. She loves them all so much. But this is Harper and me! Why would she be excited about this?

Biting my lip, I sat on the chair far away from Harper and Sawyer. I should have just left the envelope downstairs with the doorman. I could have avoided all of this.

"Sugar, I'm glad you're here. And I'll take a good look at this. You know I trust your judgment," Georgia grins sitting next to the fireplace with the envelope on her lap.

Harper and Sawyer haven't moved. They are just staring at each other as if there is some kind of silent battle going on between them. They haven't said a word to me or Georgia. This is all the more uncomfortable with them not reacting.

I would feel better if Sawyer yelled at me, cursed me out even. I'd even understand if he punched Harper or got mad with us. This silence is deafening. I want to leave. Now.

"If you want to just read everything over, you can talk to me or Ryder and we can help you with any changes you want to make." Hoping to get out of here quickly, I stood up and started to say goodbye. "I do have to go, so... I'll talk to you soon."

As I walked to the door, Georgia spoke again. "Harper, be a gentleman and walk Zoe out."

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, sure." He can't seem to get his brain to work.

Following me to the elevator, he stayed quiet until the elevator door opened and we were alone inside. As soon as the door closed, Harper reached over and stopped the elevator from moving.

"What was that?" He asked, cornering me against the steel wall. "You kissed me back there, why?"

"I didn't hear you complaining," now I feel stupid. I got the distinct impression he was interested in me.

"I'm not complaining. I'm a guy. When a beautiful woman kisses me of course I'm going to be happy about it. I just want to know why you kissed me. You were Sawyer's girl. You were upset about the breakup. I thought I was just a shoulder to cry on." He has a good point. This must be awkward for him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." I don't know what I was thinking, I know better. He was just being kind. "Look, we're friends. I don't want to mess that up. I read the situation wrong and I'm sorry. It's fine, Harper. I understand." Now if I could just find a deep hole to fall into I'll just disappear.

Harper nodded but said nothing. He stepped back and started the elevator again. He tapped his fingers on his leg as if he was thinking hard about this. I should have left when I saw the argument upstairs. I should have told him that I couldn't stay.

When the door opened, I started to walk out and his arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me back and pushing me face first against the cold steel wall. Harper closed the doors and locked the elevator, keeping me in place with his body.