Some Bad News and Another Meeting

Adrien knew if his father wanted to see him twice in three days, it wasn't a good sign. Oh, it was definitely a terrible one.

"What is it this time, Father?" he sighed. "I don't remember you having me come over here just so you can see me."

Gabriel sat at his large desk and was signing some papers.

"Adrien, remember how I told you that Louis would be managing the gala?"

"Yes," the blond said through gritted teeth. "I also remember you saying that I wouldn't have to be involved in this whole thing."

Mr. Agreste handed Adrien a sheet of paper. It was a print-out of an email, with someone saying that they are sick and can't come to work.

"Mr. Thompson is unable to come to work for the next two weeks. With that being said," Gabriel stood up, "you are to take the lead in managing the gala."

"What?" Adrien crumpled the printout and threw it on the desk. "No. I refuse to be a part of organizing this event!"

"Why? Because your ex girlfriend is the second lead for organizing the gala? Honestly, Adrien, I would've thought that you'd man up by now and stop being so childish."

Adrien felt his cheeks warm. "I am not being childish, I'm simply unable to support such an event that frowns upon the middle and lower classes who are unable to fend for themselves."

Gabriel froze. "Ah, I see." Of course his son had to go there. Its not his fault that the lower classes didn't think of merging to survive. "Well, regardless, you are to work on the team. Understood?"

Adrien simply scowled and left the room.

Sometimes Gabriel wondered why his son had to be so much like his wife.

Marinette had gotten an email the afternoon before saying that she was to meet in the boardroom to discuss things with the team. She was both thrilled and nervous to be starting this project, but had faith that they would be able to achieve such an accomplishment as throwing an entire event in a month.

Camille and Genevieve were happy for her, unlike some of the others, who, thanks to Lila, now have a sort of hatred for her. As if she were stealing their spot. Marinette had to keep reminding herself that she deserved the job and the reason she was chosen was because she wasn't just good, but amazing at what she does.

"Mlle. Dupain-Cheng, please sit down." Nathalie pointed to the nice leather office chairs that surrounded the T-shaped table. A projector in the front of the room showed the Gabriel logo, but instead of silver, it was gold.

"Nathalie, you can call me Marinette." She smiled. It was only Nathalie's nature to act so professionally, yet Marinette felt as if she'd known the woman long enough-since the early years of being with Adrien. Nathalie was the one who'd help Adrien organize and acquire the things he needed for the romantic dates he took her on, who was always humble, giving credit to the hard-working assistant.

If only she had known Adrien was a two-faced jerk. Never trust the rich kids.

"If that's what you wish, Mlle. Marinette," Nathalie replied before leaving the room, no doubt going to escort more people to the boardroom.

"So, you're rather new, aren't you?" a voice drawled. Marinette jumped. She hadn't realized that she wasn't alone.

"Yes, about five months. And you?"

"Two weeks ago," the man said. "I'm Donald. Donald Wilson." He stood up and offered Marinette his hand. She took it and gave it a firm shake.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Marinette Dupain-Cheng. You're not from here, are you?" she asked.