𝓯𝓸𝓾𝓻

It was only when Bonny Falu's train reached the Capitol she finally understood the tales from District 10's description of the richest part of Panem. The sky-high buildings were extravagant and unique, a District 10 mind would have never thought to build such innovative structures.

As the awestruck girl began to enter the centre of the Capitol, she saw the hundreds of peculiar-looking faces. Despite still travelling at fast speeds, Bonny Falu could easily notice the difference in obsession over age compared to her home district. In District 10, growing older was only a dream for many. Growing old meant you didn't die to the Games, which wasn't very likely for District 10 tributes. Whereas in the Capitol, people's desire to look young is overwhelming. Bonny Falu noticed people who had faces of a 20 year old despite the rest of their body showing otherwise. These contrasting bodies made Bonny Falu feel uneasy, with the Capitol's disregard for the beauty of age making her opinion of place lessen.

She also noticed the men and women covered in all sorts of gems and colour. Even children had bright pink hair just like Visulia's. The way so many Capitol citizen's skin had tints of unnatural colours confused Bonny Falu. She was completely unaware of the beauty standards in the Capitol. She knew of their strange clothes and hair, but it never occured to her that changing your skin colour was even possible. At that point, looking as normal as Bonny Falu would probably be considered 'unique'.

She happily waved at the crowds of people looking at her, knowing that most tributes that were set to die weren't as jolly as herself. Yet, Bonny Falu couldn't help but enjoy the luxuries and attention. She wasn't selfish, but was always taught to see the best in bad situations. Why sulk and be upset in the last moments of life if you could embrace it and eat the masses of food given and die being remembered as a joyful soul?

She knew that if she was going to die, she would make sure people remembered her, not letting herself to be forgotton as her Grandmother had been 58 years ago.

Alaris passed by her quickly as she was preparing to step out of the train, but soon backtracked to her andOtto, who was next to her, and began to give her advice on what to do when she entered the world of flashing lights and screaming citizens.

"You," He said, pointing towards Bonny Falu, "be your normal self, happy to be here and don't stop waving and smiling." He waited for a nod from the young girl before turning to the boy beside her. "And you, also be yourself. No smiles, no waving. Annoyed to be here." Otto didn't move in any way to show he understood his mentors words.

Alaris spun the two around just as the doors opened to the bright world. Otto and the shorter girl stepped out of the carriage, taking in their first breath of fresh air in a day.

Bonny began to realise her mistake in believing that she wouldn't have to fake a smile infront of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people when she took a small step towards her destination. It wasn't nerves that she had, it was the realisation that every person calling her name enjoyed seeing 23 innocent children die in a murderous game made for their entertainment each year. These people didn't want to see her, they wanted to see her become a pawn in President Snow's game.

She made a strong effort to keep up her fake smile that was before as real as could be infront of the people that could keep her alive. Otto had it easy, he could be normal self, rude and disinterested. Bonny Falu on the the hand knew that if she were to win somehow, she would have to force a joyous expression every second she was in the Capitol. She would never be free from Snow's grasp, her friends and family lives could be ended if she slipped up. She pushed the thought to the back of her head and instead focused on her facial expressions directed towards the Captiol until she stepped out of the limelight and was taken to prepare for the tribute parade.