┉┈◈†𐌷𐍂𐌴𐌴◈┈┉

Start from the beginning

She nodded in agreement, her eyes following his methodical movements as he arranged tools on the table. "I understand," Charlie said, watching as he flipped on his welding mask and the sparks ignited. An idea occurred to her, "Captain Flores left it up to me to come up with a team..."

"Oh. No, no, no," he chuckled nervously, "I don't have the qualifications for a mission planet side. I'm more useful with my machines."

She raised a brow and crossed her arms, cocking her head to the side with a playful demeanor as she stared at the back of his head silhouetted against the occasional flash of sparks. "Oh I see. No, that's completely understandable. I just thought Mariah would've been so elated if you came with us, but she can't be disappointed by what she doesn't know." Charlie turned to leave.

"I, um..."

She stopped and looked back at him, waiting for him to continue.

Eli sheepishly fiddled with his welding tool. "Well, I was just thinking... Maybe I could be useful. You know, just in case the shuttle needs emergency repairs in the middle of the mission."

She turned fully to face him, a grin spreading on her lips. "Now I think that's a great idea. Consider yourself part of the team."

The shy mechanic nodded, clearing his throat, "Great, um... Thanks." After a beat, the occasional flash of sparks resumed.

Charlie shook her head with a small smile, exiting the workshop with the hiss of the door closing at her heels.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Don't worry, I'll bring you back a clump of dirt," Frederick said, slapping his brother on the back.

Archie guffawed, "Keep your dirt to yourself, Dummkopf." He shoved the holo-navigator device into his brother's hands. "You were always the spoiled one."

"Mama loved me best."

Archie stepped out of the shuttle, typing commands into his holo-pad. "Mama dachte, du wärst der dumme Sohn."

Frederick gasped, "She did not!"

Charlie snickered, pressing buttons and adjusting minor settings in the cockpit next to Mariah. Luca leaned against the back of her seat with his own holo-pad in his hand, putting in coordinates.

He leaned down to her ear, "I think she thought they both were dumb."

Charlie shushed him, though the corner of her lips twitched up in amusement. "Is everything good to go?"

Luca straightened with a small smirk, looking over the information on his holo-pad before tweaking a few things in the cockpit himself. Stepping back with a nod, he said, "You're all set."

"Awesome." She took a moment to look around the shuttle and frowned, "Where is Eli?"

Luca ran a hand through his messy dark hair, peeking out of the shuttle door. "I'll go get him," he said, walking out.

A minute later she heard two low voices approaching, one nervous and the other amused. She started to understand them as they got closer.

"– I really wouldn't be much help, I'd just get in the way, I'm sure someone else more qualified would love to go, I can't—"

Eli stopped his quiet rambling when he spotted Mariah in the cockpit. He stood there for a second with his mouth still open on the words he didn't finish.

Luca shrugged with his hands in the pockets of his jumpsuit. "Well if you really think you can't do it, you don't have to come."

Eli shushed him before clearing his throat and squaring his shoulders. "Nonsense! This is nothing, I'll be fine."