37

It was one thing for Ayra to find out the squad – including Serkan and Aliana Yilmaz – had been lying all along and acting perfectly well, and it was a completely different thing to witness it first-hand now that the rose-tinted glasses of love and naivety had been taken off.

Every member of the squad was a beautiful liar and Ayra kept a practiced smile on her face while smiling ruefully inside at how much of an idiot she'd been. The squad's smiles were all shades of fake and their gazes held mockery as they delivered subtle jabs which she'd seen as complements in the time they'd all known each other.

The only thing that was different was that Ibrahim was quieter than normal and while Ayra thought it was a bit hypocritical as he'd definitely spoken about her and Ibtihaj time and time again, she derived slight satisfaction knowing that his changing tide affected the squad although they were doing their best to hide it while asking if he was alright.

Once introductions were out of the way, Serkan asked that they move up to the roof where dinner had been set as the dining table in the apartment wouldn't have been able to take them all. In that same moment, Falilat called and asked Ibtihaj to kindly return him as she – Falilat – wanted to take Al-Amin to the hospital to get a shot for the fever he'd come down with.

Although she was apologetic towards Ayra, Ibtihaj was happy to leave as she was more than ready to commit bloody murder. Ayra couldn't blame her best friend; not when she knew she'd honestly leave if the opportunity presented itself. For a dinner that had barely begun, it already seemed way too long and with how everyone was pretending, she knew there was a high chance it was only going to get worse.

While the others headed to the roof, Ayra saw Ibtihaj down to the lobby, unable to stop herself from laughing at how the latter insulted every single person they'd left behind. She – Ayra – waited until the chartered Ryde was gone with her best friend before taking the elevator back up to the roof level. By the time the carriage stopped and the doors went open, she'd slipped back into the Ayra they knew and took advantage of while keeping a box in her mind open for any information she didn't know of before.

The roof level of The Oasis was nothing short of stunning; its views of Aomi being the best offered by the entire building complex. The general pool was a clear and stunning shade of blue, lit up on all sides; including the side where a round table wide enough to sit ten people had been set for them, dishes – both local and intercontinental – laid out beautifully on stunning dinnerware that clearly were reserved for nothing but the best occasion.

Like they always did, the squad acted well; gasping at the perfect moments and stating that Serkan and Bella didn't have to. Despite her smile and practiced awe, Ayra saw it clearly that Serkan and Bella didn't fit. When they thought she wasn't looking, Serkan and Aliana snuck in little movements; his hand moving to the back of the chair she pulled out, his hand brushing hers, and him adjusting one thing or the other.

Ayra had to applaud their audacity as it was a whole lot. She pulled out the chair opposite Serkan and sat, only turning her head when the chair on her right was pulled out and Ibrahim sat, pulling the chair closer to the table once he was comfortable. Judging from how the table became momentarily quiet, Ayra had a hunch Ibrahim's current sitting position was not the one they – the squad – had agreed on.

"Ibrahim," It was Bella. The smile on her face was tight and for some reason, Ayra loved it. "Serkan was hoping you'd sit closer." She patted the chair beside her that was still empty. "Like somewhere here."

Ibrahim, whose expression had been impassive, cracked a small smile. "I'm more comfortable here." He moved his line of sight to Serkan and Aliana. "Besides, I think this is better since we're facing each other."