Outfit Meltdowns

A/N: I am autistic, this is based on my own experiences. This was not made to make fun of autism. This piece and any other pieces relation to Autism in the future will be based on my own experiences. 

Warning: contains depictions of an autistic meltdown

Jiah was nervous. They were at an award show to perform My Pace, and the stylists were showing her the outfit she was going to wear. She wasn't going to lie, but the idea of wearing a skirt to perform scared her. Admittedly, she had said she wanted to try something new, but Jiah meant slightly more in tune with the others' outfits, not doing a 180 on the style and especially a skirt that would limit her dancing room. She put the outfit on anyway.

She sighed and got out of the changing room to speak to a stylist. She could feel herself getting worked up at the skirt and the feeling of the scratchy fabric against her skin. to speak to a stylist. She could feel herself getting worked up at the skirt and the feeling of the scratchy fabric against her skin. "I'm sorry to disturb you. However, this skirt is too tight. The fabric is itchy and just looking at my skin, it is red. It isn't going to last a minute of full choreography. Is there a way to get it changed to something else?"

The stylists shook their heads. "At the meeting when we talked about your outfits and the possibility of trying something new, the company bought the skirts and that is the only clothing available for you."

Jiah just sighed and nodded. Thanking them anyway before turning back to the dressing room with the other guys. She braced herself as she knew they would comment on it due to skirts being out of character for her. She just focused on keeping calm, attempting to stop herself from ripping it off her body.

Minho was the first to see her, he was on the same side as her and the others were in the room next door. He saw her frowning slightly before noticing that she had her legs showing which was out of the norm for her. He eyed her a bit more before heading to her.

"Are you okay? You don't look happy."

Jiah just shook her head, her hands wiping her skirt repeatedly as they felt clammy. She began to start pacing and biting her lip trying to focus on anything but the skirt she had been put in. Minho grew increasingly more concerned at the youngest member and moved so he gripped Jiah's arm to try and bring her comfort but she flinched away and began to hyperventilate a little. She was trying to keep her cool and bit down on her lip harder. She didn't realise that she had made it bleed.

"Melody, can you hear me?" Minho questioned, he was quickly growing more panicked.

All Jiah could hear was white noise as she continued to pace, she stopped wiping her hands and had started flapping them at her side instead. Occasionally she tapped each of her fingers individually before returning to flapping them.

Minho shouted for one of the boys to help and it was Chan that came through. He was about to question what the matter was but he saw Jiah pacing and Minho stood to the side and immediately asked what was going on. He grabbed his phone ready to google ways to help with whatever was going on.

"I don't know what is really going on, she came out of the dressing room, spoke to a stylist and has been like this ever since. She has bit her lip so hard it started bleeding and has been flapping and pacing. She started hyperventilating a couple of minutes ago. I tried to get her attention but it's like she couldn't hear me. I touched her arm and she flinched like I had burnt her and continued what she was doing. I really don't know what is going on or how to help her."

Chan nodded and typed up what was going on. "The internet says it is stimming? Or possibly a melt down but both go with autism. It says to reduce any sensory stimuli. Turn off the lights and shut the door. Grab your headphones and put them in her ears and then scoop her up in a blanket. We don't have a weighted one so just hug her tight. I will speak to the manager about this as we need to know officially what is going on."

Minho nods and whips into action, doing what Chan said. He found a plain blanket and rushed to turn off the lights and shut the door as quietly as possible. The sudden lack of bright lights caused Jiah to stop for a second. That allowed for Minho to put his headphones on Jiah's head. He came up behind her and stretched the blanket out and wrapped it around her body, pulling her close and hugging her tight. He stood there for a few minutes and just cooed quietly to try and get her to calm down. Her rigid body slowly relaxed and they lowered to the floor where he pulled her into his lap and held her like a baby. He saw her lip still trapped in between her teeth and gently pried it out, wiping the blood with his sleeve. Jiah blinked and slowly the room came back into focus. She looked up at Minho, who was cradling her to his chest and looking at Chan who was googling on his phone. She tugged on his shirt gently and Minhoo looked down to her, he smiled slightly at her.

"Hey baby, you back with us?" She just nods and pulls the blanket tighter around her body. She sniffles slightly but is a lot calmer than before. Chan moves closer and crouches in front of Minho and Jiah, stroking her hair slightly.

"Hey sweetheart. How are you feeling? When you are ready we can talk, yeah? We have quite a bit of time before we need to be on stage so we can just relax."

She nods and gives him a grateful smile. She waited a few more minutes before adjusting herself in Minho's lap so her back was against his chest.

"I'm sorry for worrying you. I don't even know what fully happened. I spoke to the stylist about the skirt I am wearing. The fabric is itchy and hurting me and that's all I could focus on. I don't remember anything up until a couple of minutes ago where Minho oppa and I were on the floor."

Chan shook his head as Minho stroked her hair. "It's okay. We just need to know, has that happened before? Has anyone spoken to you about autism? Just so we know what is going on and how we can go about helping in the future."

Jiah shook her head. "No, I don't think that has happened before. If it has, you would have to ask my parents. And autism? No but once again my parents would be the only people who could tell you but the likelihood they will tell you anything, doesn't exist as they disowned me. Minho Oppa's family took me in and are waiting for all my information to come through."

Chan just nods. "Well we can get you out of the skirt and into trousers as I know I.N had trousers spare as his stylist couldn't decide and we will get the JYP lawyers to chase up that information. If you don't have a diagnosis, would you like to go through with getting one. That way the company and managers can help as well to make sure we prevent this from happening again."

Jiah nods and Chan smiles. Minho placed a kiss on the side of her head before moving to get up. "Take the skirt off and wrap the blanket around you. We can grab the trousers and then the makeup artists can help your lip. Everything is going to be okay." Minho stated as he and Chan turned and left the room. Jiah did as she was told and was soon more comfortable and headed to the boys room. She was tired and headed to where I.N was laying on a cooling mat on the floor. She laid next to him and slowly dozed off. Chan was speaking to the manager and Minho was eyeing Jiah to make sure she was okay, messaging his parents to let them know what was happening.

Soon the time to perform came and it went perfectly and they soon headed back to the dorms to rest.