Bloodline

A car pulls up in the front of the Hero Commission main office's guard post.

"Identification," a guard orders.

A woman hands over her ID.

The guard then reveals a light.

"Retinal."

She hesitantly moves towards the device. The device scans her eye, it flashes green as if indicating that she was the person in question.

"Welcome Madam President. How was your trip to the kennel?" The guard asks.

"The new breed they obtained still needs to be house broken before I can take it home. It might need another month in training. If not, the kennel might be forced to put it down," the woman replies.

"The kennel might not be as good as they claim to be. I say wild mutts should be put down," another guard adds.

The woman shrugs.

"A dog is only good if they are obedient regardless of pedigree," the woman corrects, "But enough about the dog I want. I need to get back to he office."

The men understanding nod.

"Well of course ma'am," they replied.

They move into a their stations. It didn't take long for the gates to open.

The car drives past the gates.

Once they can no longer see the guard the driver speaks.

"Could that conversation not be anymore obvious?"

"Those with intelligence can easily decipher what our conversation was about. Too bad the public will only hear a conversion of an old lady talking about adopting a rescue dog because that is what they want to hear. Not even trying to get a better look at the world around them," the woman replies, "Doesn't the Network use coded messages?"

Lucius shrugs.

"Depends on the person. Most don't live long enough to make a cipher and others don't care to make them. While, I code my personal notes, many of my associates don't. And I only speak in codes if it's an infiltration mission," Lucius remarks.

"It a wonder how the Network have remained secret for so long," Kaina fires back.

"Most governments know of us. But the problem is we have two things most governments are afraid of," Lucius counters crypticly.

"And they are?"

"Capital and power."

Kaina raises an eyebrow at that.

"Many of the organizations that make up the Network are older than the governments they live with. They hold old money and land that many governments wish they can obtain. One of the smaller organizations in Japan rule the underground of the Kanto region.

Your government and Hero Commission can try to take it from them but we have more combat power and skills than your group. I think I proved that power back in Tartarus," Lucius comments.

Kaina tried her best to conceal her expression but Lucius still noticed her minor changes.

"Humans like to think they are above everything but devils know they are. But like any creature we are fallible," Lucius adds.

Kaina rolled her eyes.

"My father used to say, 'You assume humans are weak. Okay, yeah, their bodies lack the physical abilities of a demon...but humans possess something that demons don't.' Do you know what that is Kaina?"