Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Don't you think that's kind of inappropriate for a teacher to be asking a student?" Logan says, narrowing his eyes.

The teacher nods, "Of course. Very well then," He says.

I walk out beside Logan but I do consider what the teacher was saying. Maybe he's friends with my brothers. I don't want him to snitch.

"Alright, Rossi. See you around," Logan says, walking out the side door to the football field.

I walk out the front of the school, waiting right in the doorway. I'm not allowed to leave the school without one of my brothers watching me. One of their gajillion rules.

Once Francesco's car pulls outside the front of the school and he climbs out, I walk over to the car.

I climb in and once I'm plugged in in the backseat, he pulls off. 

After a moment, I realize the podcast playing in the background. It's a history podcast, one that I love. Listening to things has always been my comfort. Back home, when I was grounded, or depressed, or just especially beat down, I'd just lay there and listen to music.

Or when I wanted to listen to something entertaining, much to the dismay of my peers, I would listen to history podcasts. Specifically this one, it's called 'History is Blind' its hosted by Ben Katz, and Melissa Cowry, she's one of my favorite podcast hosts. I even love the name, it's a play on the saying 'history has it's eyes on you', I've always loved it.

"What do you want to listen to?" He reaches for the radio.

"Oh, no this is fine," I say instantly.

"Stop trying to please others. What do you want to listen to?"

"No, I like History is Blind," I say, "Melissa is my favorite host..." I hesitate, "You like history?"

He doesn't answer immediately, in all honesty, he looks a bit surprised.

"I do," He says simply.

"Me too," I say, I look out the window, "I love the Gilded Era. We're going over that in school right now. I like to look at certain houses and rundown neighborhoods and just think about the fact that 100 years ago, they were so...Different. Any part of history really. You could just stand there on the corner and rewind time and it would be as if you were transported to a different world completely, no phones, no high tech cars. Anything, just horses and high society women and men with umbrellas and..."

For a moment, I forget I'm mad at him. Until I remember and suddenly I'm not too excited anymore. He's looking at me slightly awed, before clearing his throat and turning his eyes back to the road.

"Really, history is interesting when we learn that we've done something wrong and are willing to admit and amend." He clears his throat again, "And to say we're sorry."

Is that his apology?

"I suppose so," I say.

He stares out the windshield with a hard gaze, one awkward nod as we pull into the parking lot of the mall.

Carlo's POV:

About an hour after we get home from school, Maddie and Francesco walk into the house.

Francesco looks worn out but content by his standards. Maddie's been ignoring me since that day. I don't blame her obviously, but it's been nothing short of torture. We just got her back and now she won't even talk to me.

I stand in the doorway of her room as she pulls out her new clothes. I admit, I love that she's so into pink, it reminds me of when she was little.

"Did a fucking unicorn throw up in here?" I say from the doorway.

"Shut up," She mumbles.

She panics as if I can't tell she was just teasing, before she can utter an apology, I grab a pink dress off the floor. "You know, telling your big brother to shut up is awfully disrespectful. I think I'm gonna confiscate this beautiful dress. The glittery details, the frilly bottom, the beautiful thin straps—"

"Are you sure you're not the one who wants to wear it. Go ahead, I won't judge."

I'm pleasantly surprised at her wit if not at a loss of a comeback. Good thing I'm the one with the upper hand. I hold her stare for a good 10 seconds. Before she can react, I reach down and grab a handful of her clothes and run.

"Carlo!" She yells.

Maddie's POV:

I chase him down the hall, I can hear his laughter as if this is a laughing matter. He runs downstairs with the pile of clothes, including the blouse I fell in love with. He took away the love of my life.

When he gets to the last step, he pauses, catching his breath. His mistake. I wrap my arms around his neck from behind, trying and failing to pull him down onto the floor. But it doesn't work, instead I'm just suspended in the air, clinging onto his neck and making determined reaches for my clothes.

"Get off of me, you creature!" He says, trying to shake me off.

"Give me my clothes back, you monster!" I shout back.

He continues trying to shake me off without hurting me. He uses one hand to pry me off but still refuses to let go of the pile of clothes.

Finally, I let go, putting my hands up in defense, "Fine. Keep them. I give up."

"Good," He says, basking in his temporary victory. I leap up again at the last second, now he definitely doesn't expect it. I reach forward and grab the first thing I can. The glittery pink dress and run out into the foyer. He reaches over his head to try to grab it out my hand but he looks ridiculous from my point of view. I giggle.

"Give me back the dress!" Carlo shouts. Then it gets dead silent, I fight the grin that threatens to arise.

Then I realize all the eyes on us from the living room. Francesco looks almost shocked, Emilio looks amused, Xander looks slightly interested, slightly confused, and Elijah has a small smile on his face. I slide down, take my dress back and stand there a moment.

"We're about to watch a movie if you want to join us?" Emilio offers with a smile.

I glue my eyes to the floor, "No," I say, "I'm not in the mood."

.    .    .

last update of 2023!

what do we think? ready to forgive anyone yet?

thanks for reading!! see you in 2024!!! <333