Chapter Twenty-One: Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer

Start from the beginning

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Looks like Santa threw up in here." George said as he looked around the living room.

"Did she do this in one day? Does she actually sleep?" Eddie asked, she hadn't been to the frat house in about two days, and the last time she was here it defiantly hadn't been decorated.

"Just... go with it. We're bring supportive." Meredith reminded them.

Eddie just raised an eyebrow. Ever since the fight she and Izzie had, they hadn't been the same. Izzie moved on like it was no big deal and they were back to normal, and Eddie couldn't forgive or forget.

Just because Izzie was upset and broken hearted didn't make it okay. She had told the others to not freeze her out, because they all practically lived together inside the hospital, and George and Meredith actually lived with her. It would be to awkward. And, Eddie remained friendly but distant and strictly professional at work.

They were co-workers and shared mutual friend that was it. They were no longer the friends.

And, it was obvious, to everyone but Izzie, that Eddie and Izzie weren't as close as they once had been.

"Oh, hey! What do you think? Did I go too overboard? Oh, I know I know sometimes I go a little overboard." Izzie said when she saw her two roommates and friend.

"No, it's great." Meredith said.

"No, we love it." George quickly agreed.

"It's amazing, looks like it came out of the movies." Eddie said.

"Oh, yay! I love Christmas." Izzie said happily.

"We know." Meredith and Eddie said together.

"Clearly." George commented.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 Ironically, that same family togetherness is thought to be the reason that depression rates actually do spike at the holidays. Yeah, okay. Izzie doesn't count.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

At Burke's apartment, Cristina looked shocked at the sight of a Christmas tree in the living room. She had not expected to see that.

She had never been big on holidays. Growing up, she had been raised Jewish, by her mother and stepfather, her own father, before his death, had not been religious. But she never believed much in faith. And, the moment she was an adult, and living on her own, she never stepped foot in a temple, unless she had to. 

Rather, she believed in science. Science had explanations, answers, and solutions.

"Oh, I thought you might like to help me decorate it tonight. Mark our first Christmas together." Burke said when he noticed where she was looking.

"I'm Jewish." Cristina said bluntly.

Burke practically spit the coffee he was sipping back into his cup.

"Seriously?"

"My stepfather, Saul Rubenstein?" Cristina reminded.

Her mother had mentioned him to Burke when she introduced herself to him when she had the lost the baby. 

"Oh, right. Right. Right." Burke said, now remembering, not putting two and two together.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Eddie felt as if she and Bailey were waddling through life now. Both of them were heavily pregnant. Eddie only had a few weeks left in her pregnancy, and while Bailey was about six weeks behind her, the resident known as at Nazi, was shorter, and her baby seemed to have inherited her husband's freakishly tall genes.