[67]

Friday.

Luz grumbled softly as 7th period was taking longer than usual. "ARE YOU SLACKING!?" Luz barked sharply. "DON'T MAKE ME CHASE YOU!"

The slackers flinched, continuing their set of pacers. Luz snarled, huffing and turning to Clara. "What?"

"Don't make me tell Amity you're being rude." Clara handed Luz her bi colored bottle. "I will. Don't test me."

Luz snorted, taking her water and taking a few big sips. "I don't like slackers."

"Neither do I, but you have to be a good captain." Clara nodded. "Go help your team out. Remember Luz, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Don't let anyone, be that link."

Luz set her water down, walking over to the African wild dog struggling to drag along the weight. She huffed, falling to the grass, glaring back at the weight. "Come on," Luz held her paw out. "I'll teach you how to drag it along properly."

"Yes Cap'n.." She took Luz's paw, being pulled up.

"First off, can you even carry that?" Luz pointed to the weight.

"Erm- Yes, it's a sixty pound weight."

"..How much do you weigh?"

"Around 110." She answered.

Luz hummed, "And how much can you curl on the machine?"

"Forty."

Luz gazed at her, ears flicking, "So, I'm going to change your weight to thirty-- And you'll tell me how it feels."

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

Luz tugged at the lock, then the chain, checking off her list before walking to the field. She sniffed around, grabbing a hidden bag and taking a hesitant sniff. "Oh Julie," Luz sighed. "Drugs on campus is not good for you."

She circled the track, making sure nothing was left behind or dirty, throwing the energy packets away. She locked the field gate, checking her list off and heading to the front office. "Track Captain, Luz." The pup set the clipboard down. "Did my round, a student left her bag full of.." Luz hummed. "Not good smelling things."

"Oh goodie.." The kangaroo took the bag. "Name?"

"Don't know her last name, but it's Julie. She's on the track tream. Oh. And here's the key for the field." Luz set it on the clipboard. "I'll be off now."

"Have a good weekend." The kangaroo waved her off.

Luz exited the building, perking, "Clara? Why are you still here?"

"Picking you up." She opened the car door. "Vee wants me to make sure you get home safely."

"Oh. Great! We can stop for flowers on the way then." Luz smiled.

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

Flowers and ingredients it seems. "You're making chorizo?" Clara set the bags down.

"Yes, Amity is coming over for dinner and spending the night." Luz hummed, taking one of the bags and taking it to the kitchen.

"Didn't she sleep over last night?" Clara picked the bags back up, taking them to the counter.

"She slept over Wednesday night, she's staying the weekend." Luz grabbed her pan, humming. "What to make though.."

Luz's ears perked, the pup looking back, "Hey you two." Camilla greeted.

Clara jumped, turning back, "Good afternoon Ms. Noceda, sorry for not informing you I would come over."

"It's alright, when Amity sleeps over, Vee gets to pick a guest to stay the night too." Camilla ruffled her fur. "You're free to go get some things to spend the night."

"Yes, that's a good idea." Clara hummed. "Okay, I'll be back soon."

"CLARAAA!!" Vee rushed down the hall, jumping into the golden retriever. "Hi!"

Clara had managed to stay up this time, tail lightly wagging, "Hi Vee."

Luz felt her phone buzz, pulling it out of her pocket. "Have a minute?" Coach K.

"..I'll be right back." Luz unlocked her phone, walking to the door and exiting the house, calling the coach.

"Hey Luz." The coach spoke. "Not busy are you?"

"I am but I can take a minute, what's up Coach?" Luz closed the door behind herself.

"We have a meet next weekend, but.." Coach K cleared her throat. "A notice was sent out. One of the other schools had an..Incident."

Luz glared at the pavement, "Let me guess, they're going to hold a breed responsible?"

"..Yes..Dogs will have to wear muzzles during the race.."

"This isn't negotiable, is it?"

"If you're willing to fight it with me, then I'll see you at school tomorrow at eight."

Luz sighed, "Yes Coach, thank you for telling me."

"Have a good evening Luz."

She hung up, Luz lightly hitting her head with her phone, "Why is it always dogs..?" Luz huffed. "Whatever. I'm making my girlfriend dinner.."

To be continued.