Chapter 15: Whirly Girly

You kissed back.

But you knew you shouldn't have.

When you had started to feel the slightest bit happy at Akui, your best, and only, friends were slaughtered. When life started to get, only in the smallest, better after you ran away, your past came back to bite you.

If you got one sliver of happiness, double sickening complications came to daunt you.

It was reoccurring problem that was destined to stick with you.

It was like someone was constantly watching you, making sure that if you ever found "happiness", or "love", they'd be there to snuff it out.

They made sure your life was some whirly girly ride, filled to the brim with foreboding angst.

What a lucky guess.

~

You had to play the part, until you figured out a way to let him off, without hindering your friendship.

Well, that's how it started, for you were, little by little, slowly falling.

"You guys are so late! Class has almost started!" Maka reprimanded you and Nate as you walked into the room.

You and your Weapon walked over to where you'd usually sit. "As long as we made it before the bell, I'd say we're good." Nate sat one level above you, next to Maka and Tsubaki, whereas you sat next to Patty and Kid, Liz next to Patty, and Soul and Black Star on the other side of Kid.

"Even so, I don't think Stein'll put us under the knife for being late." Nate continued.

"Still, you should at least try to be just a little more punctual." Maka heaved a sigh.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, mom."

"Why, you!"

This was the usual thing. Nathan would be annoying either you or Maka -- mostly Maka, Black Star would either be sleeping, or screaming his head off about his great and almighty power as a god -- no one would actually listen.

Patty would be happily making paper giraffes in her own world, Liz would be checking out her nails, or talking to Tsubaki, when she wasn't playing ref for Nate and Maka.

You would always talk to Soul about the most random things, or about your piano lessons with him, and it was nice -- you could actually play a few songs on your own.

But Kid, he was very satisfied and content with just watching you joyously chat away, while he held your hand over his lap. Although, he did wish he got to hold both hands - it was more symmetrical that way. But, this was enough for him, and it made him happy.

All was well.

However, you knew that with this pleasant aura, came on ominous tack stuck onto the end of it. And it hit you sooner than expected.

In the small flicker of time you used to blink, everything went downhill.

It was as if you were looking at a 3D painting, all around you. They looked like they were blurred in motion.

Soul, Kid, Liz, Patty, all of them -- Even the kids who sat around you guys, that never seemed to have any relevance. They were all frozen.

All, except you.

In the corner of you eye, you saw movement. And when you looked in that direction, life as you currently knew it, seemed to stop right then and there.

It was her, in all her glory. Her oddly colored eyes, dark scarlet hair, her tainted, nefarious soul.

You wanted to scream at yourself, trying to tell yourself that this was just a nightmare, and that you had to wake up. But you couldn't even move, much less make a sound. All you could do was cry. Because, there she was, smiling that ghastly smile.

"Hello, my little runaway." There stood the witch Akali.