Chapter Four: No. Non. Nein. Ayoko. Nyet.

Start from the beginning

"No."

"No?"

"No. Non. Nein. Ayoko. Nyet."

Instead of answering, Levi looked at me for a moment before angling his body and facing the elevator doors. I glanced at Saint and Atlas who both had dumbfounded looks on their faces as they stared at their friend. I didn't have to ask why.

Levi King always had answers. It didn't matter how short they were or how much detail his words held. You could never win with him because he'd either be blunt enough to cut you off or stare you down long enough for you to stop.

When the doors opened, he walked out and headed straight for the lobby while Atlas placed an arm over my shoulders. "You have to tell me your secret because I've never seen Levi admit defeat like that."

Aside from another conversation with Levi which ended up with him winning this time over a plate of fries– the argument was about whether they were called fries or chips– lunch went on smoothly. It's obvious that the three have known each other for long, but they didn't make me feel left out even when an old story would come up. Saint would just end up giving me a gist as Atlas and Levi talked about it.

When we all got back to the paddock, Saint and I went for the direction of our motorhome while Atlas and Levi headed to the building reserved for the press conference. We managed to film two videos for the team's Youtube account– a social media outlet that has boomed over the years. The day followed with us having the press conference next and ending with a few meetings to prepare for tomorrow's practice.

I was looking forward to a warm bath when I got back to my hotel and was in the process of filling up the tub when my phone rang. Without glancing at the screen, I swiped on it and held my phone up against my ear, my eyes busy inspecting the array of soaps that have been provided.

"Hello?" I absentmindedly asked, picking lavender amongst the choices.

"Katarina."

At the use of my full name, I froze and dropped the small bottle of lavender into the tub. Only one person calls me by my full name and every time she does, it's a conversation I wish I could free myself from.

"Hey, ma." I greeted, hating how small I felt even though she was a thousand miles away from me. There's a reason why I don't talk to her as much as I do with my dad. When I was younger, I had no escape whenever she would find something to ridicule about me, even more so when Kennedy was gone. I only managed to avoid her for long when racing took up a majority of my life and I didn't have to involve myself as much.

It's different with my mother. With dad, I knew that his protectiveness came from me being so far away from him, but he never held me back. He knew that this was what I wanted and supported me in any way he could. With my mother, she didn't see it that way. She saw it as a distraction from how I should be living my life. She thinks that I should've gone to college and studied medicine or maybe even law, worked under someone else while paying my student loans, met a guy who I would fall in love with and marry, have kids and make them my life. Despite knowing how successful I have become and how much I was earning even for a reserve driver. Leone was a top performing team and with the magic my manager negotiated with last year, the salary I had was one of the highest for the reserve drivers. That number increased when I had to take Oliver's seat.

"How's Spain?" She asked after a few seconds and I could hear someone murmuring in the background, most likely dad. It felt like she was being forced to ask the question and the way she cleared her throat before continuing confirmed that. "Your dad told me practice was tomorrow?"

"Yes. It's until Saturday before we head into qualifying." Everything was so awkward. I knew that if we were having a video call, she would've found something on my face that she could comment on. "How's the bakery?"