𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕝 𝔹𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖

Start from the beginning

        "Don't," I scold. "Your complaints will not help anyone right now."

        "I never liked him, but," he adds, "that was because I thought he didn't love you."

        I raise an eyebrow and ask, "What changed your mind?"

        "After you left for what I assume was to save Ravka from further warfare, the Darkling wanted to march on Shu Han, leaving nothing but ruin in his path. I returned to the Grand Palace just before he was about to depart. I heavily advised him not to continue as it would jeopardize your life to attempt a military coup such as that. Then, he did something he has never done before."

        "What's that?"

        "He agreed with me!"

        I snort and shake my head, but Nikolai's face remains serious.

        "He backed down and agreed to let me come save you while he stayed in case of an attack. Alina, he didn't choose revenge this time. He chose your safety." He sighs and rubs his hands together to warm them with the bitter wind nipping at our skin. "I can't forgive him for the things he has done in the past. He has hurt you. He has killed some of my best companions. However, only fools live in the past and ignore the present. You are changing him for the better. I can see that now."

        I frown. When I am with the Darkling, I can convince him of the better solution. This time, I wasn't there. If I were, maybe he wouldn't have used merzost. He wouldn't have jeopardized his life to win this war. "I should have stayed," I mumble.

        "You didn't have much choice, Alina. Queen Leyti threatened your family. I would have done the same thing."

        "I let Queen Leyti get into my head. I believed her when she said I was not good enough. She made me think I couldn't protect my country and my family."

        Nikolai turns to me and cups my face in his hand. "Look at me," he demands. I tilt my chin to meet his hazel irises. He says, "I believe in you. We all believe in you. You are the most capable being on this earth. It's time you start believing that as well."

        I sigh and bring my body into his warmth. "I love you."

        "I know. I'm pretty hard not to love."

        I laugh and hit his chest playfully. When I look back over the edge of the Hummingbird, my smile fades, and I let go of Nikolai, rushing back to the railing. In the distance, I can hear the clanging and clashing of swords, the firing of weapons, and screeching of all unnatural creatures. As we get closer, a black mass appears over the hillside.

        "What is that?" León joins us in looking over the edge. "It sounds like dying animals."

        "Nichevo'ya. The Nothings," Nikolai answers for me as I am too devastated to speak. I have to find Aleksander before it's too late.

        "Take us down there!" I command. Nikolai rushes to adjust the sails. We start to descend into the chaos below. Red and black, gold and black—it all looks the same. Just useless deaths. But I understand now that it is not because of me. It is because of Queen Leyti's greed. She wants this unjustified war, not me, so I can't blame myself. All I can do now is find her. I will not kill soldiers if I don't have to. Neither side is fighting this war willingly. They should not have to die in the name of a power-hungry ruler.

        A whoosh of air sends a few tumbleweeds rolling away on the dry plains. I jump off the ship as soon as it lands and sprint through the dirt stained with red. I try to scan the area for a black kefta, but there are too many soldiers and nichevo'ya to see more than a few yards across the battlefield. I call out his name, only for my voice to be swallowed by the screeching nichevo'ya. I clamber up a hill to see better. I do not find Aleksander, however, I do spot my other target. Queen Leyti stands regally on a faraway cliff, watching the battle ensue. The cliff has a gradual incline originating from the battlefield and a deadly drop on the other side. She is just standing on the safety of the butte, watching as her people die for her.