Mohabbat

A chapter on Murtasim's chahat 🤍

"You don't have to lose anything Murtasim because it's mariyam who's losing her love" Meerab uttered in disappointment. She was utterly disappointed by Murtasim's behaviour towards her and his sister. She knew their mindsets. Feudal lords, orthodox mentality. But Meerab wanted to change that. She saw the agony in her sister in law's eyes and didn't wanted her to go through forced marriage and unhappy life. Their's was same. Both were forced, both were on each other's neck, but Murtasim gave a chance which Meerab couldn't. According to her it was because of them which included Murtasim that she lost everything. Her insecurities is the main reason which is stopping her from giving their relation a chance. What if he also leaves her? What if he betrays her like her parents? So many what if's clouded her thoughts. Her chain of thoughts came to halt when Murtasim uttered,

Murtasim (dull voice): ofcourse. I don't have anything to lose apart from you Meerab because I have lost everything.

Meerab didn't understand his words. What did he lose? He had everything. Murtasim saw her confused face and held her hand softly. He took her to store room. She saw Murtasim taking out something from the rack. It was a camera.

Murtasim: This. I lost this when I wanted to pursue my dreams. I wanted to fulfill my desires. Meri chahat thi.

Meerab was dumbfounded by the new information. She couldn't form words and was looking at him for explanation in turn he had his gaze fixed on camera.

Murtasim: Meerab, i was so passionate regarding photography. I had this dream and desire to become a wildlife photographer. Can you imagine? The arrogant feudal lord had this as his chahat. Ofcourse the responsibilities binded me.

While saying this he had slight tears in his eyes.

Murtasim: When baba Saab died, all I wanted was to scream at everyone that I didn't wanted this responsibility. I wanted to pursue my dream. Fulfill my passion. But alas, this feudal responsibilities have snatched away my dream from me and I was a silent spectator at that time. Whom do i complain? My mother who was devastated by her husband's death, Anwar chacha who was shattered by losing his brother? None of them bothered even and eventually this came to the store room.

Murtasim cupped meerab's face and saw her eyes which were filled with tears. She could feel his pain of snatching away the dreams. Wasn't it the same case with her. Her husband who showed how strong he was outside is nothing but depressed from inside.

Murtasim: ye Mera pehla chahat hai toh, tum meri aakhri chahat ho Meerab. Khudko aur mujhe sambhal lena please. Ek aur dhoka nahi seh sakta mein. Bahut pyaar karta hoon mein tumse meerab shayad tum abhi tak nahi karti ho par tum meri zindagi ho. Please aise koi kaam mat karna jo mujhe aur tumhe takleef pahunche.

Murtasim confessed his love with tears in his eyes and Meerab had her tears flowing. She didn't even bother to wipe and Murtasim while looking at it wiped and held her close to himself.

Murtasim (chuckling with tears): ye aansu tho ruk nahi rahe hai, nahi ro saka tab, mard hoona isiliye.

Meerab immediately cupped his face and wiped the tears from his face. She couldn't see the tears in her husband's face. Call it love maybe but she knew she had special place in her heart for him now. She tiptoed and kissed his forehead. She knew what she has to do. She will stand by her husband this time. She took the camera in her hands and looked at her husband who was observing her keenly. Meerab smiled faintly at him.

Meerab: You need a chance to fulfill ur dreams Murtasim. You can do it now. No one's going to stop you now. I know how will it be when you are not able to complete your passion but that's not how it should be now.