Chapter 1: Sent 12:57 PM

Start from the beginning

"That makes no sense," Dawson snorted. "A mask is hiding your face."

"Exactly," Atria answered immediately, curtly. "A mask hides my face."

Dawson looked at her with confused pity, not really understanding why she said the words she did. In his mind, all he could think was 'why did the most beautiful girl at this party think a mask would make up for what she had naturally?'

"It still makes no sense," Dawson repeated, looking at what features were peaking out of the mask that hid the girl he'd been crushing on for months. Atria turned her gaze to Dawson now and he couldn't help but compare her eyes to the stars above them.

Dawson's heart hummed at the attention that was now on him and his heart swelled further when she stepped even closer to him, hips touching hips, in a way to seek comfort from the cold. A dumb smile was now on his face because the girl of his dreams had sought him out for warmth.

"Cold?" He mused as he put an arm around Atria, pulling her closer to him. Atria giggled at his actions, trying to distract herself from the way her heart pounded in her chest at a rhythm that felt so sweet.

"Too cold, you might have to hold me tighter in case I die from frostbite" Atria teased, her cheeks flushed even redder from not only the alcohol but how bold she was acting.

"We wouldn't want that happening, would we?" Dawson hooted, hints of his laugh still present. He was enjoying her company more than he thought possible.

"You most certainly would not," Atria grinned back at him. "Imagine all the people who'd be on you for not protecting a woman like me from the cold—your mother, my mother, your father, my father, just too many people to disappoint."

"You're more trouble than you're worth, huh?" Dawson laughed, his eyes filled with mirth.

"Clean observation, Ledger," Atria replied, shrugging her shoulders with her eyes gazing up at him in contentment. She couldn't deny the stirring of her emotions, the way her heart hadn't once slowed down in it's pace, or the way Dawson was now leaning closer to her, eyes solely on her lips.

The countdown for the new year had began, a chorus of excitement and anticipation for what may come. But the two teenagers on the balcony couldn't hear those shouts of hoorah and squeals of merriment.

How could you when you were receiving a kiss that would absolutely take anyone's breath away?

Dawson Ledger had the girl his dreams in his arms and Atria St. James had just fallen in love as the boy pressed his lips softly onto hers.

The first firework shot up into the sky with a sharp whistle, yet even it's eventual loud blast of colors did not scare the two on the balcony.

Atria was pressed up against the railing, her hand's in Dawson's hair and his on her waist, holding her close to him as if to steal away all the breath she held. Dawson kissed her like his life would end right then and there if he didn't.

"Dawson," She moaned out as he began to kiss her neck.

Dawson's grip on her hips tightened. He had never heard his name muttered so sweetly before. I could get used to it, he thought as he bit into her neck, which illicited a cute squeal from her. He chuckled darkly, he didn't know someone could be so attractive without having to do anything but squeal.

"C-" Before Dawson could finish what he was about to say, a loud, familiar gasp broke them out of their lust-filled trance.

The pair on the balcony looked like deers caught in headlights as Mrs. Ledger stared at them in disbelief.