Chapter One

"Get back here, young lady!" Archibald Fairchild's voice boomed through their two-story estate, passed on from generation to generation of Fairchild inheritors. Lord Archibald Fairchild was the second son and unexpectedly inherited the title and seat in the House of Lords when his elder brother tragically passed away from being ambushed in the summer. At the age of twenty-six, he married Harriet Waterhouse, whose family also had a seat in the House of the Lords. Together, they had three children: Hector, who died several years ago in a boating accident; Kaydence, who was a headstrong, independent woman in her own right, and sweet Eloise, who suffered from paraplegia and depended on her wheelchair. Now, without a son and oldest child, expectations and responsibilities fell on Kaydence.

"You don't even know the man!" Kaydence yelled down the stairs in anger. "Are you out of your mind?!" She stormed into her bedroom and slammed the door shut. The argument put the house into a stir of disruption. Harriet came back into the house with all her shopping bags and a questioning expression directed at her husband.

"Archie, what on earth is going on? Camille called me just a few moments ago."

"She's the most obstinate child ever to step on this earth! Hattie, our daughter is a nincompoop—"

"Archie."

"She's a nightmare—"

"Archibald."

"Why couldn't we just have another chil—"

"Archibald Fairchild!"

"Yes, Hattie dear?" He stopped his rambling complaints. Whatever the matter was, it was enough to have his face red and sweaty from anger. Harriet rolled her eyes and handed off her shopping bags to the maids.

"What is this disagreement you have with Kaydence?" She inquired, adjusting her caramel blonde hair while looking at her reflection in the window. She was, after all, a Waterhouse.

"Well, dearest, someone has offered for our daughter's hand in marriage."

Harriet's eyes widened as she gasped. "Who is the man?"

Archibald smiled mischievously. "Azriel Telford."

There was a moment of silence as that name sank into her mind. Then, it all clicked on her. She took a deep breath and hurriedly went up the stairs. That should do it, Archibald thought to himself.

The persistent knocking sounded on the door as Kaydence upsettingly muttered to herself. She ignored it for a few seconds, hoping it would go away, but it only got louder and more frequent.

"Kaydence, this is your mother. We need to speak immediately."

She scowled and yanked the door open to face her fiery mother. The apple never really did fall far from the tree. She forced a smile and said, "Hello, mother." Her words dripped with sarcasm. Her mother threw her a hard, narrowed look.

"I've been informed that Azriel Telford has asked for your hand in marriage."

"I believe we received this news from the same source."

"And you refused his offer?"

"Yes, that's quite right."

"Do you know who this man is?"

"No, I don't care who he is. I don't want to marry."

"Azriel Telford is the Royal Duke of Davenworth, meaning he is in the House of Lords."

"And?"

"What do you mean 'and'?"

"What is he? Human or vampire?"