𝟬𝟭𝟰 you & i'll be safe & sound

Comenzar desde el principio

   Melanie left her home and looked over to Carl's house. He was on the porch, hugging Michonne as he held Judith. Melanie slowly walked over and climbed the steps of the porch. As she did so, Carl and Michonne turned around. Melanie smiled at them, "Sorry to interrupt."

   "It's fine," Michonne shook her head with a smile. Michonne turned around and gestured to Judith. "I'll take her in."

   Carl handed Judith to her. Michonne looked at Carl once more before walking into the house. Melanie walked up to Carl. He had a lamp on a side table next to a rocking chair that he had been rocking Judith in. The warm glow of the lamp cast a soft orange glow onto the right side of Carl's face.

   Melanie stood in front of Carl and rested her right hip against the railing. Melanie gave Carl a small smile, "I just wanted to check on you after today."

   Carl nodded at her. He looked down at his feet for a moment before looking back up at her, "I'm sorry for grabbing you like that, I shouldn't have done that."

   "No, no," Melanie shook her head, thinking back to what had happened afterward and what she had done to him. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put a knife to your throat. I was just... It -- It brought back bad memories and my body went into fight or flight."

   Carl looked down at his feet, still feeling sorry now that Melanie had revealed that there was previous trauma when it came to physical violence. There was a moment of silence between them before Melanie looked at Carl once more. She hesitated before asking, "Who was it?"

   Carl looked at her, his brow furrowed, "What do you mean?"

   "Who did you kill?" Melanie asked, referring to why he wouldn't kill Deanna and why it had to be a member of her family.

   Carl sighed, realizing Melanie had figured it out. He looked away and rested his hands on the railing, staring ahead, "My mom." Melanie gave him a sorrowful look. "She... She died giving birth to Judith. I killed her. It had to be me."

   Melanie knew that Carl's mom had probably died but she didn't know that it was while giving birth to his little sister. Melanie looked over at Carl who was staring down at the ground and gripping the railing. Melanie reached over and placed a hand over his. Carl looked at her as Melanie rubbed his hand with her thumb. Melanie smiled at him and Carl smiled back. They stared at one another for a moment and Melanie watched Carl look over her face, observing every inch.

   He finally removed his hands from the railing and looked away from her. Melanie furrowed her brows, wondering what had just gone through his mind. Carl looked up at her again, "You coming over tonight?"

   Melanie nodded, "Planning on it, yeah. Unless you don't want me to."

   "No, no, I want you to," Carl nodded.

   Ever since Carl had woken up from his coma, Melanie had been sneaking out of her house to see Carl. Melanie would climb up the side of his house using the gutter drain and the two of them would lie on his roof, stare at the stars, and just talk about anything and everything. Melanie didn't know why it started but it was nice to do and Carl seemed to like it so they kept doing it.

   "Okay," Melanie smiled, happy that Carl wanted her to come over. "I should get going. I'll see you later."

   Melanie gave Carl one last smile before leaving. She made her way back to her own home. When she walked in, Margot was making dinner. It was some simple, very old, and expired mac and cheese but it still smelled and usually tasted good. When Melanie walked in, Margot smiled at her, "How'd it go?"