𝟬𝟭𝟰 you & i'll be safe & sound

CHAPTER TWELVE:YOU & I'LL BE SAFE & SOUND

CHAPTER TWELVE:
YOU & I'LL BE SAFE & SOUND

🥀🖤

   LATER THAT NIGHT, Melanie was still thinking about Carl. She had spent most of the day trying to figure out why exactly Carl had reacted the way that he did in the woods. Melanie knew that he had a good reason and it was an important reason since he had told them they wouldn't understand. There weren't many things that Melanie wouldn't understand when it came to the new world. When it came to some things, nobody understood besides Melanie.

   Melanie knew that Carl had been through a lot. From the moment she saw him, she knew it had been a lot. The look on his face and the way his eyes seemed sunken in and dark. Whatever had happened right before they had arrived in Alexandria was traumatic and he had experienced even more trauma before that. Melanie wasn't ready to share her trauma with him so she wasn't going to push him to share his trauma with her but, she wanted to try to understand as best as she could.

   Melanie had some ideas but it wasn't until she talked to Margot, that she had figured it out or at least had a better idea. When Margot had gotten home that day from her watch shift, Melanie had gone to her bedroom just after Margot had showered. Melanie knocked on the door. Margot turned around, still in her towel as she dried her hair and smiled at her sister, "Hey, Mel. What's up?"

   "I have something to ask you," Melanie walked further into the room.

   Margot sensed that it was serious. She furrowed her brows and took a seat on the bed, "Okay. Is everything okay?"

   Melanie hesitated and stuffed her hands into the back pocket of her jeans, "In order for me to ask it and get advice, I need to tell you something else that you might not be happy about" Margot furrowed her brows. Melanie knew Margot might not be happy about Melanie going out into the woods. "So, Carl, Enid, and I have been going out into the woods almost every day and --"

   "I know," Margot interrupted, surprising Melanie. Melanie furrowed her brows as Margot continued. "And I don't care. You survived out there for months by yourself. Continue."

   Melanie almost laughed at how deadpan her sister was about Melanie going out into the woods. Despite that, Melanie continued, "Um... we found Deanna." Margot sat up, waiting to hear more. "And Carl wouldn't kill her. Enid and I tried to but he pushed us back and said we wouldn't understand. I've been trying to figure out why he wouldn't kill her."

   Margot thought for a moment before looking up at her sister, "Well... when we killed Mom and Dad... if we hadn't, would you be okay with someone else killing them?"

   Melanie stared down at her feet, thinking about it. Her parents had died and turned right in front of them, so they had been able to kill them. If Melanie hadn't, she wouldn't have wanted anybody else to kill them. It would be better if it was family, it's supposed to be family. Melanie sighed, "Shit." Melanie looked back up at Margot. "Thanks, Mar."