A unusual return - Chapter 9

London , England 1804

Winter was long in the year of 1803 to 1804. It was harsh and tempered as it swarmed Eton's building, causing the lack of freedom the boys were so used too to be troubling and frustrating. Students layered in huge coats, long scarfs and tattered gloves, but of course, with it's many negatives, such as the boys being locked inside making it easier for Adam Bronton to find his victims of his unforgiving cruelties and very easy to find Gerard Walseworth sticking to the promise he swore at the table many of these spiteful interactions between the bully and Gerard whether it was locking him in the bathroom and beating him up or finding his finished work ripping it to pieces or even throwing all of his belongings out the window and stealing his thing would always cause Thomas and Gerard's fights the side of Gerard's unwillingness to back down and allow Adam to rule over his life and the side of Thomas who just told the Walseworth boy to ignore and bend to the bully these fights would leave Charles picking sides every-time the two went against each other.

But with all its negatives it also allowed its positives to come along, the boys of Eton we allowed every so often to enjoy the winter's joy. Many playing in the deep layers of the white falling sky snow angles filled the courtyard and spinning balls mixed of fluffy snow and ice hit boys heads, many resulting in injury. The month turned and the group of four still remained a trio without the peacemaker. The common bickering sometimes turned cruel. Thomas constant judgement, Gerard's quick to anger attacks and Charles' whining meekness made the boys feel out of place and unkindly to one another, but the three stayed a bay of each other's throats at the thoughts of missing their friend and as the months faded just like white layer on the ground below them the welcoming of March and the green grass came and so did Benedict Bridgerton.

"Are you sure he's back today ?" Thomas asked as he balanced the coins between his fingers, "like I've just told you in the letter he said the 15th, so yes. He is coming back today." Gerard responded, laying back in his bed, "I was just making sure." Thomas defended "it's not as though you pay attention too many things." he added "should we speak about it, you know when he comes ?"  Charles asked, looking at his friends once before looking back out the dorm door, "no." Gerard bluntly responded, "surely we should say something about the situation, I mean..." Charles turned round once more, looking at Gerard, "no, don't say a word of it." Gerard's best instinct was to only speak of the issues when Benedict spoke of it. That was the correct way. "Shouldn't we have a gift for him or something of the sort just to... well..." Charles asked, standing at the dorm door, "oh yes here you go Benedict, here is a gift for you. This is our internal gratitude for your father dying, we hope you enjoy it, and we're only being nice to you because of your father passing." Thomas held out his hands, pretending to give a present while wearing a sarcastic smile, "you're a fucking twat, you know that ?" Gerard spoke up at his "friends" cruel words, "I know." Thomas shrugged, widening his eyes, "get off my bed." Gerard pushed Thomas with his foot "arse" Thomas muttered, lifting from the boy's bed, choosing to lean against the dresser "he should be here by now surely ?" Charles peaked out the door trying to see a familiar face "your shaving skills should be here Christ how many times do you nick your skin" Thomas walked closer to examine his friend's face "at least I can grow a beard" Charles quickly responded, making Gerard bark out a laugh at a red-faced Thomas "I can grow one I just choose not to like any normal gentleman in this day and age." Thomas spoke an exaggerated annunciation of the words normal gentleman. "Ohh normal gentleman" Charles repeated, turning from the door, now facing Gerard and Thomas. "Normal gentleman" Gerard added, the pair mocking Thomas' words, "oh here we go." Thomas rolled his eyes.

"I do hope you're talking about me." Benedict spoke standing in the doorway three dark leather bags in his right hand and two large box like ones in the other, most likely filled with art supplies, "Ben." Charles exclaimed seeing his much missed pal, "Hello Charlie." Benedict smiled as Charles eagerly hugged him, "oh, I have missed you, especially after spending so much time with these two." Charles added as he let go of Benedict, "thanks." Thomas muttered, looking to Gerard, who gave a small smirk. "I'm glad you're back, Bridgerton." Thomas walked over to Benedict, patting him on the back, this was the closest thing to affection Benedict would receive from Thomas, and he gladly took it, "welcome back Benedict." Gerard smiled at the young boy, but as Benedict's eyes left Gerard's lazy smile, he saw the pieces of papers hung all over the walls of his and Gerard's shared dorm.