Episode 2: The First Night

_______________________________________

New York City Streets

May 6, 2018
11:27 PM

Damien walked through the night streets of NYC wearing a pair of black jeans, combat boots, and his zipped-up leather jacket. He had a small black backpack slung over his shoulders as he walked towards his new job: Frenni's Nightclub.

Sure, it wasn't the most glamorous job given his education, but it was decent pay and seemed to be a relaxed gig. The cool air of the NYC night caused his breath to show with every exhale.

First night on the job. What could go wrong?

. . .

Frenni Fazclaire's Nightclub

11:43 PM

Damien stepped into the entrance of Frenni's Nightclub, having unlocked the entrance doors with a set of keys provided to him by Mr. Roberts. As he walked through the showroom, he noticed it was very quiet; the rest of the staff had already gone home.

Damien shrugged to himself as he never minded quiet moments. He walked through the showroom and down the hall as his boots stepped against the carpeting of the floors until he reached the inside of the security office. He set his backpack down next to the desk and removed his jacket, hanging it up on a small coat hook at the back and revealing his attire.

Alongside the black jeans and boots, Damien also wore an off-white button-up collared shirt with breast pockets. The Frenni's Nightclub logo was emblazoned on the left breast pocket. The back of the shirt had the word "SECURITY" emblazoned on the top in big, bold, black lettering with a black tie tied around his neck. He withdrew a black ballcap that had "SECURITY" emblazoned on the front in big, bold, white lettering and placed it on his head comfortably.

With his uniform in shape, Damien turned to the shelves in the office. He spotted a duty belt with a radio, some keychain hooks, and a flashlight on the shelf. There was also a collapsible metal baton attached to the belt. He regarded it with a worried expression but ultimately shrugged, clipping the belt around his waist and adjusting it snugly.

Damien turned back to the security terminal, which had a notepad application open with a list of chores left by Anthony along with a note.

'New guy, this is a list of daily chores. These are the basic things you're expected to do EVERY night. Save it somewhere if you want. I don't care. But from this point on, I'll keep a notepad on the terminal listing, whatever extra crap I need you to do for that night. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy... so you gotta finish ALL the extra chores listed if you want the bonus. Otherwise, you aren't getting shit. Got it? Good. Get to work.' 

Damien hummed as he pulled out his phone, taking a picture of the 'daily chores' list to save for himself. He looked at the list itself.

-- Lock the front doors and engage the security shutters by 12 AM.
-- Lock the loading bay door in Parts and Services and engage the security shutters by 12 AM.
-- Turn off all power breakers except for 'Primary Lighting' and 'Security Systems' by 12 AM.
-- Monitor security cameras; only patrol outside the office to investigate disturbances. Handle incidents as necessary.
-- Notify authorities if it's something you can't handle.
-- Shutters and entrances will remain locked until 6 AM.

Scrolling through the list, Damien checked his watch; it was 11:48 PM. He took a sharp breath with a nod.

Damien: "So I guess my shift is from midnight to six. Not bad. Right!" He clipped his keyset to the belt and clapped his hands.