She nodded.

"So who did you go on this trip with? Leilani and Shay? Was it like a girls trip or..?"

Kaliyah could feel her cheeks turning warm, just as she hesitated answering his question. She actually hadn't really told her father about Von, let alone any details of her love life in general. But, Lorenzo could just see the way his daughter was blushing, which only signaled that she definitely did not go to Mexico with any of her girlfriends.

"Leilani and Shay weren't there, but I did go with a friend."

She shyly spoke.

"Oh, like... a boyfriend-"

"Dad pleaseeee. I do not have a boyfriend, goshhhh!"

Kaliyah whined, just as her father let out a laugh. He could clearly see how embarrassed Kaliyah was, which he found to be amusing.

"Hey look, your mother was always better at these conversations than me."

He admitted. Kaliyah just chuckled a little, sitting up in her seat.

"Yeah... she was."

There was a brief silence between the two, the topic of Kaliyah's mother bringing a melancholy vibe to the room. Lorenzo just cleared his throat slightly, breaking the silence.

"Well... is this friend of yours a boy?"

He went on, trying to get her to open up. Kaliyah found herself fiddling with the ends of her locs, twirling the strand around her finger repeatedly.

"Yes.... he is a boy."

"Ok. Is he a nice guy? Have I met him before? It wasn't Duke that you went to Mexico with right? Because I never really liked him for you-"

"Noooo Dad, it's wasn't Duke, trust me. You haven't met this guy yet."

Lorenzo raised his eyebrow slightly, surprised that there was a new guy in her life that was not Duke. Lorenzo knew that Kaliyah and Duke had been dating for almost 4 years now, and he had always supported his daughter with her decision, even though he despised Duke a lot-

"Wait, what do you mean you never really liked Duke?"

Kaliyah questioned, trying not to laugh. She could see her father shrugging as she waited for him to respond.

"He always just rubbed me the wrong way. I obviously didn't want to tell you that because you clearly were in love with him-"

"Wow."

She laughed, opening her mouth with slight shock.

"Never mind that though. When can I meet this new fellow of yours?"

He grinned.

"You want to meet him? I mean... I don't know about that."

Kaliyah muttered.

"What's not to know? You clearly keep blushing every time we talk about this guy. What's his name anyway? What does he do for a living? Did he graduate college?"