30. Chapter (Lafferty's Great Nose)

Comenzar desde el principio

While satisfied with his organisational performance, he reproached himself for possibly revealing too much to Bella about Travis St. Arcey. Perhaps he should have left it as it was, refraining from expressing his thoughts so she would learn directly from the Marquess. However, knowing his master, he doubted that he would hang his gains with women on the nose of a woman in whom he had a prominent interest. 

But did he still harbour that interest? 

Lafferty was not blind to the growing rift between them, fearing that it would eventually force Bella to leave Marlborough. However, he wasn't certain about anything concerning the two, despite noticing a spark in Travis' eyes, as if he wanted to seize her every moment and never relinquish, and her dreamy gaze as if she imagined him finally seizing and never releasing her from his clutches. And mayhaps it was only Lafferty himself who harboured such romantic notions, given the absence of the intimacy of a woman's body.

As for his promise to young Earl Darlington regarding sweets, he upheld it every time, except on days when he heard that Teddy had been unkind to Bella. He wanted to help Bella with positive motivation and also have a conversation with the boy.

"Isabella is very good to me," Teddy said, taking a confection from Lafferty's hand, "actually, so is Travis."

"That's splendid," Lafferty remarked with delight, gently tousling the boy's hair, eliciting a joyful laugh.

Bella had exhibited commendable care for the lad, employing a truly humane approach that endeared her to him. Her ability to embrace a childlike demeanour only served to draw her closer to young Teddy. Whenever Travis occasionally joined their company, she subtly reminded him of the importance of shared meals and discreetly guided him on subjects suitable for discussion in Teddy's presence.

However, Travis hesitated when it came to introducing Teddy to other children. Unfamiliar with couples who had children of similar age, and burdened by his ever-vigilant protective instinct, he refrained from involving Teddy with strangers, fearing potential dangers. This reluctance stemmed from the deeply ingrained paranoia that had intensified since Teddy became his ward.

Lafferty strolled down the corridor when the Marquess, dishevelled from the wind, with a countenance contorted in anger, emerged. He brushed past the butler like an ominous presence, turning only to issue an imperative command, "Lafferty, when Miss Ward arrives, inform her that I await her presence in my study forthwith."

Without waiting for Lafferty's acknowledgement, the Marquess stormed away, leaving the butler to ponder the intensity of the suppressed rage and sense of concern for Isabella's well-being.

A brief knock on her door followed, and when Bella didn't invite him in, Lafferty conveyed, "The Marquess anticipates your prompt attendance in his study, Miss Ward."

After a contemplative pause, Bella responded, "Lafferty, inform the Marquess that I find myself indisposed."

Her response unsettled him. "Is aught amiss, Miss Ward?"

"N-no," Bella replied, though her words lacked assurance for the majordomo's ears. "I truly do not feel well, Mr. Lafferty."

The majordomo sighed and proceeded to inform St. Arcey. Upon hearing the answer, a vein throbbed on Travis' forehead, and he struggled to maintain composure in his voice.

"So indisposed... quite intriguing. Especially considering she was not indisposed for other matters today. You may leave, Lafferty."

Lafferty sought to decipher the meaning behind the cryptic response but acknowledged that, once again, the judicious course of action was to withdraw and allow the Marquess to cool off; otherwise, he might bear the brunt of his ire. He resumed his duties and joined the evening repast when everyone had concluded their meal, and the dining chamber was mostly vacant.