21 - Queen of the Sharks

Start from the beginning

"Are you ready for more?!" Ferra roared suddenly.

The roar that stuck back seemed to shake the walls. Piper felt it sting her ears, and felt hundred of implants crackling with the emotions of their bearers. Fists pumped the air; amplifiers glowed. The others were more than ready and she couldn't suppress the rush of adrenaline that this place imparted.

"Then floor is open," Ferra continued, and a poison smile split her beautiful features. "And I claim the first challenge."

The roaring suddenly vanished, replaced by a collective gasp went up from the onlookers. Piper raised an eyebrow. Apparently the queen of the Sharks didn't sully herself with common duels that often.

She watched as Ferra slid her amplifier from the pocket of her jacket, and slowly turned on the spot, arms spread wide. She wanted to ask Odiye what was going on, but when she looked at him he looked frozen, eyes wide.

The leader of the Sharks turned. And turned. And turned.

Then stopped.

And looked right at her.

"Piper Russell!"

For a moment she didn't absorb the words. Piper's name hung in the air for several seconds before she clawed it into her mind and the implications struck her. She felt heads twisting towards her, disbelieving stares finding her amongst the throng. They all seemed to know who she was. She stayed still, unsure what to do. Beside her, Odiye make a small, spluttering sound of surprise.

"Piper Russell," Ferra called again, her voice sharp as a knife, amplifier drawing circles of crackling energy around her. "New blood for the Sharks."

"New blood, new blood, new blood, new blood!"

The chant thundered up through the rafters and Piper felt her heart slamming inside her ribcage, her implants boiling like a stormy sea. She started to rise from her chair but Odiye grabbed her arm in a tight grip.

"Piper!" he hissed. "Are you insane?"

She wrenched her arm loose. "What the hell am I supposed to do?!" Standing, she swallowed hard, and hopped out of the seating area. A murmur of approval rippled through the crowd behind her as she stepped out onto the duelling field, but she felt Odiye scrambling out after her.

Ferra approached, an entourage of senior duellists flanking her. Toran stood to one side, arms folded, a faintly amused smile on his face. The others held similar expressions, watching with interest as their leader stepped forward.

"So, Piper," Ferra burred. "You like what you see here?"

Piper nodded cautiously. "Pretty impressive."

"If you want to be a part of it, you will need to be initiated."

"By you?"

"If you accept my challenge." Ferra's blade of a smile cut into her. "So, care to dance?"

"Ferra!" Odiye hissed. "You can't do this."

She cast a disdainful glance at him but did not reply.

In desperation he looked to his partner. "Toran! Do something!"

"Do what?" Toran grunted, nodding to Piper. "She's been challenged. There's no rule that says she has to accept."

"Piper, this is crazy." Odiye spun towards her, grabbing her shoulder. "You can't do this. She could kill you."

"Don't be so dramatic, Tambo," Ferra hissed her amplifier snarling with tendrils of dark purples and reds. "This is not your decision to make." Her attention flashed back to Piper. "If you want to join the Sharks, accept the challenge."