Chapter Forty-Three: A Mayor's Motive

Start from the beginning

No matter what they currently thought of one another, regardless of whether they were currently working together or not, there was still a lot to be addressed. Many of which they had been avoiding like the plague since they were reunited.

The duo finally made it to a door in the gate surrounding the pound. Waiting there was one of the many workers of the pound, one that smiled as the two pups approached.

"There you two are!" The worker, a young man, exclaimed, "C'mon, let's get you your check up, Chase."

Opening the door, the man picked Chase up and allowed Marshall to walk through as well. He quickly closed the gate behind them, carrying the little officer into a building not too far away. Marshall remained beside the man's legs, glancing back at the gate they were just let through.

Following Marshall and Chase's fight against the dogs of the pound, one of the workers was tasked with checking in on the two pups every day, especially since Chase had injuries that needed to be checked every so often. Marshall was brought along to prevent being left alone in such a dangerous place.

As the man laid Chase down on a table within a small room used for checkups, Marshall walked over to sit on a chair off to the side, prepared to wait for Chase's checkup to end.

"So, how did you guys sleep?" The young man asked, "Pups don't usually last overnight in this pound."

Marshall's eyes bulged, "They don't!?"

"Well, you already know how your first interaction with the pound dogs went. Did you really think that was only limited to the daytime?"

"I guess I'm used to keeping a part of my mind alert after spending so long in the wild..." The Dally thought for a moment, "Whenever a dog would get close, I'd wake up and they would just go away."

Chase's brows raised. During the previous night, he hadn't noticed a thing. He slept almost just as soundly as he would back in Adventure Bay. He slowly looked over at Marshall, who tugged at his scarf as he explained his thoughts about the previous night. Marshall seemed a lot more anxious than before his suspension. A lot more alert. He was right. Marshall's experiences outside of Adventure Bay had affected him not only physically, but psychologically. It affected the way he ticked.

"I didn't even notice..." The Shepherd muttered, "I slept pretty well, considering where we were."

"It's a good thing you won't have to worry about that anymore."

Marshall seemed confused, "What do you mean?"

"You two are being relocated to a pound that's more safe for pups."

Chase could feel his stomach drop, "Wait... Where are you sending us?"

"I think you two are headed to Toronto..." The man put a hand to his chin, sorting out the details in his mind.

"Toronto!? The little officer asked loudly, "That's halfway across the country! If we're sent there without my tag, we'll be stranded! Ryder won't be able to find us!"

"Sorry, Chase..." The man shrugged, "It's been ordered that you two be removed."

"Can't you just let us out of the pound so we can go back to Adventure Bay on our own?" Chase desperately asked, the thought of being stranded so far away from the lookout filling him with anxiety.

Marshall, meanwhile, flinched at the idea of returning to Adventure Bay with Chase. He wasn't even sure if Chase was really on his side or not. Having to face Ryder and the PAW Patrol after everything that happened wasn't something he desired. Especially if they still didn't know whether or not he was the culprit of the theft weeks prior. In fact, he had gotten so used to living in the Canine Valley, that returning to Adventure Bay always seemed like a distant dream. One that he was never able to reach.