Untitled Part 13

The sky above was already growing dark, but the shapes of the buildings in the distance were still well defined.

OrchidRays began galloping down the slope, away from her friends. "Hey Flash! Guess what!"

Before she could even make it to the foot of the hill, she stumbled on the rocky path. She lost her balance and tumbled a few times on her side. Concerned, SwiftHaze fluttered down where her friend had fallen.

"Are you okay?" Haze asked briskly.

Ray pushed herself up. She patted off some of the dust that covered her Stable suit. "Yeah," she replied, only slightly dazed. She didn't even seem fazed.

Haze breathed a sigh of relief, glad that she wasn't hurt. Both GleamingChance and SilverFlash met with them.

"Did you find anything?" Flash inquired.

"Not really," Chance grumbled, discouraged.

"We got those photos," Haze pointed out.

"Yeah, just photos. No hits where she could be at now. I should have expected that much." Chance shook his head. "That shit is from the past. Not gonna help us now."

"Well-" Ray attempted to speak next, but Chance wasn't finished. He spoke over her.

"I guess I could try one last time to get any details out of my gang."

"Wait, wouldn't they have told you all they know yet?" Haze asked.

"They aren't transparent like that, unfortunately. But I do really need to speak with them if we're going to search. Better if they know I'm leaving..." Chance's thoughts were swirling.

"I-," once again, Ray attempted to speak but was interrupted by Haze.

"Well, I hope you're alright with doing that by tomorrow, unless you're planning to convince your gang to let us stay in their base overnight."

Chance grimaced. "Yeah, that's not happening. Guess we'll have to camp out here somewhere."

"Yes, Ray, what's wrong?" Flash addressed the young mare. He noticed her giving a pouting expression.

"I- we wanted to tell you something," She said hesitantly. She looked at Chance and Haze. "Right? Can I tell him?" Haze gave her a nod, which made her perk up with excitement. She faced Flash. "Well, we just wanted you to know- we looked through the archives- oh, about Chance's mom! And it turns out CharmingRhythm and Heartfelt are his several times great grandparents!"

Flash's dark eyes widened as he took that in. He turned to Chance. "Really?"

"You guys are practically family!" Ray added briskly.

Chance looked away, somewhat abashed. "Eh, I'm still not certain about that. That is a lot of generations between relations."

"Chance, I don't care how distantly we are related, I'd still call you family," Flash replied sincerely.

"Thanks, Flash," Chance said.

"Thank you for letting me know this," Flash glanced at Ray and then Haze. "It's good to know their memory lives on in at least one pony I know.Yes there are probably plenty more in the Stable, but I may never meet them. Anyway, it's even more special because I've already known him for several years."

"So, um, are we going to camp out for the night?" Chance attempted to segue, although awkwardly, as if he didn't like being the subject of conversation.

"But where?" Haze wondered, examining the terrain. "Is there anywhere safe?"

"Actually, that tunnel that leads to the Stable would be a good spot," Chance suggested.