Chapter 13: Nudnik

When Ana came home from work and exited her truck, she knew something was off about her front porch. She couldn't see anything at first, it was more like a gut feeling. And a mageia feeling.

She walked to the porch, purse clutched close to her hip as she walked to the steps. When she got only a few feet away, she finally knew what it was. Spellwork, carved into the wood of the railings and steps. It was Marchosias' work; she recognized the ancient Nordic runes he always favored. She approached the steps and ran her finger along the runes, his magic tingling like electricity. What are these for? To keep me inside, or to keep others out?

It seems Marchosias really does suspect that she's getting into trouble. Does he believe that she's bringing in unwanted guests? Maybe he didn't like her friend, Logan after all. She was the one who told Ana that her mother appeared sick. Marchosias never liked too many questions.

Footsteps crunched the grass behind her and she whirled around. Beau stood there, stopping his steps when Ana had turned around. He wore a black jacket and his leather gloves, despite the dismal summer heat. Ana couldn't understand why he insisted on wearing the garb, he must have been sweating under it all. He must have considered if hiding his burn scars was worth the risk of passing out from heat exhaustion.

Ana looked around and behind him for Judas, but he was nowhere in sight.

"He's not with me. He was taking a nap when I left." Beau said, as if reading her thoughts.

Ana scoffed. "When he wakes up, he'll follow you like a lost puppy. That's what he always does."

"I told him I was going to get food before he fell asleep."

"You think he would believe that? He may be a fool but he's not stupid." Ana turned around to the runes again, considering if she could risk stepping across them. She didn't know if they would alert Marchosias or not.

"Have you...looked through your grimoire?" Beau asked, taking a few steps closer to her.

Ana slowly shook her head. "No...I've been too busy with work and my father. He visited me last night."

"I know. Did he say anything...useful?"

Ana bit her lip, remembering what Marchosias had said during the dinner. "He's looking for you and Judas...and your mother. He's on your trail."

Beau didn't reply, and Ana turned around to gauge his reaction. His eyes were staring at the ground, his brows scrunched in worry. "He doesn't know where she is, either?'

Ana raised an eyebrow. "You were expecting him to?"

"I'm not sure," He hesitantly shrugged his shoulders. "I think I was just hoping that he would tell you something, anything other than the fact that she might be held by the Creed of Solomon."

She adjusted the purse hanging on her shoulder and crosses her arms. "Those scientist freaks are far from my concern right now." She turned back around to the porch. "Right now, I have to figure out why my father insists I need all these ugly runes carved into my damn porch."

"You should be worried. At any moment they could come to this town and—" She heard his footsteps approach her. He stopped by her side and looked down at the carvings. "Interesting..."

"Don't touch them," Ana warned. "I don't know why they're there."

He leaned down and examined them, his dark eyes roving over the intricate runes. "They look similar to the ones on the border. I'm not familiar with the runes he uses, but they act as a warning system. Any cambion passes these steps, and he gets an alert. They seem to exclude you, however. These type of runes are far older than any I've ever studied, but I recognize some letters."