Chapter 20: Enigma

As the day waned and classes unfolded, Adelaide felt a growing unease about her impending meeting with Sirius. Well, It wasn't apprehension about meeting him as a person; rather, it was a concern about the intentions behind his sudden invitation.

Adelaide hasn't spent a lot of time in this age nor did she spend enough time with Sirius to know him properly, but it seemed long enough to notice all the signs that Sirius definitely didn't invite her for tea and biscuits. Her assumptions were already built around their first meeting and occasional glances towards him on her first official day at Hogwarts. However, it wasn't difficult for Adelaide to notice that Sirius was quite different from both the people she knew in the past and the people she knows now.

While to most, Sirius might look like the perfect example of a Gryffindor, Adelaide knew better. The boy was of course, courageous, brave and he certainly acted before he thought, all which are common traits amongst Gryffindor students.

Adelaide however, knew there was a reason why his whole family had been sorted into Slytherins for generations, and she doubted Sirius was much different from them. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all. For so far Adelaide had found out that Sirius had quite the cunning and ambitious character.

Adelaide didn't have any solid evidence of this accusation, and while she might have noticed that Sirius was basically a stark contrast to Headmaster Black, However, she count help the feeling nagging feeling inside her gutt, telling her that Sirius didn't want to meet with her due to the great justness of his heart.

However she agreed to meet him not just because of her three roommates nagging and glares, but because to her, Sirius was an enigma.

It was hard to notice at first, but after a few curious glances and observations, Sirius' character had many loose threads that made little to no sense. For instance, why would the first born son of an esteemed pure-blooded family like the Blacks try to suppress and conceal that side of himself?

Most children from pure-blooded families wouldn't even dare to think of defiling their parents. Sirius on the other hand, had decided to do the exact opposite of every value that his family stood for.

For instance, it was no secret that the most noble and most ancient house of Black considered themselves to be aking to royalty, and their family motto, Toujours pur, reflected their views of themselves and their disdain on muggles, and yet rumours say that Sirius had not only befriended muggleborns but also dated one.

But it wasn't just his relationship with muggleborns nor the strange occurrence of a main-branch Black being sorted into the house of Godric Gryffindor that had captured her curiosity about him. Apparently Sirius was a major rule breaker and he had received multiple howlers just this month.

When Adeladie first heard all about these she couldn't believe any of it, if it was true, then Sirius Black was hanging on a tight line to be disowned, if he already had not been.

But there was another thing that piqued her curiosity.

It was common knowledge that children of pure-blooded and pristine families had a strict list of rules on how they should, talk and behave in different situations. Adelaide was one of these children, and therefore it wasnt difficult for her to notice that Sirius had without a doubt gone through similar, if not harsher tutoring than her.

White it's barely noticeable to the naked eye of most children from this date, who held little to no common courster. But contrary to them, Adelaide was taught her manners from a very young age. She had to sit quietly, look pretty, and consequently to these rules, Adelaide had become an amazing observer. And observe she did, for she didn't even have to struggle to notice the way Srius oppressed his manners.