Chapter 16: Jelousy

During the next morning's breakfast in the great hall, everyone seemed to notice the empty four empty seats at the gryffindor table, which were usually taken by the loud and obnoxious marauders.

After yesterday's afternoons argument between Sirius and James, the two boys who always found themselves together in the centre of all problems, it still came as a surprise to most that their presence was absent. It was unusual, but it had happened before, that the marauders would argue or bicker among themselves, but no student nor teacher has ever witnessed a spur of this calibre happening between the four boys.

Then as if answering to their thoughts, through the doors of the great hall entered two of the marauders, Peter and Srius, laughing side by side, as if nothing happened. Sirius was laughing loudly and tears were gracing the corners of his eyes. Although if someone looked close enough, then they could easily notice the unease on Peter's face, as he was dragged by Sirius, who held an arm around his neck. Everyone's eyes in the great hall were on them

Taking a seat by their usual spot, Sirius quickly found his eyes lingering on Adelaide, who was chatting idly with Marlene, Dorcas, and Lily at the other side of the Gryffindor table. Sirius couldn't care any less about what they were discussing, but that didn't stop his laughter from dying down, and his expression instantly turning sour.

Sirius wanted to try and hide his pain behind a smile, just like he had learned ever since his youngest years, but one look at Adelaide and the wall he had built this morning was falling apart. One brick at a time.

But he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that Adelaide was more than just a passing face in the crowd. Her presence seemed to scratch at the surface of his memory, like a distant echo he couldn't quite grasp. He tried to dismiss it, attributing it to his usual scepticism towards newcomers, but the persistent itch at the back of his mind never disappeared.

Throughout breakfast, Sirius stole glances at Adelaide, his keen eyes narrowing with scrutiny. He observed her interactions with the other Gryffindor girls, the easy way she conversed, the occasional flicker of amusement in her eyes. Yet, Sirius remained guarded, his laughter hollow and forced. Peter, beside him, picked up on Sirius's sudden change in demeanour and shot him a concerned look.

"Everything alright, Sirius?" Peter mumbled, his voice barely audible over the din of the Great Hall.

Sirius waved it off with a dismissive grin. "Of course, Pete. Just had a rough morning, that's all."

Peter didn't seem entirely convinced, but before he could press further, Remus entered the Great Hall, looking composed but with an unmistakable furrow between his brows. He took his seat, glancing briefly at Sirius, who offered a scoff and rolled eyes in return.

Remus let out a sight, but made his presence unknown as he picked up a book with a magenta cover, and read it while eating a bowl of cereal. And although his eyes never left the pages, his eyes never quite registered the words as his ears twitched while listening to the hushed whispers between Srius and Peter, perks of being a werewolf, he joked,

Sirius's attention, however, kept wandering back to Adelaide. There was an itch beneath his skin, an unsettling feeling that he couldn't quite pinpoint. He leaned over to Peter, his voice low and guarded, "Pete, have you noticed anything off about the new girl?"

Peter shot him a perplexed look. "Off? Like what?"

"I don't know," Sirius replied, his eyes never leaving Adelaide. "She seems familiar. Like I've seen her somewhere before. And not just here at Hogwarts."

Peter followed Sirius's gaze, studying Adelaide for a moment before shaking his head. "Can't say I have, Sirius. She's just a new student, right? Maybe you're just seeing James in her, since they're related and all" Peter shrugged.