The War Songs

The most heartstopping, gutwrenching poetry in song ever written has been on War.  My favorite rock poets are many, and the subject of War has fueled the smoldering embers of their wildest fires.  I have found that there are no "official" meanings or interpretations to the lyrics of these songs. The interpretations come from my research, coupled with my own impressions. It's my pleasure to present a sampling of their work.

.

The first of the war songs was written in the late 1960's by Stills, Kantner, and Crosby, recorded on the album "CSN," by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, in 1969.  Its name was "Wooden Ships."  The song speaks to the fear of apocalyptic nuclear war, where both sides annihilate the other; a lone soldier from each side meets:  If you smile at me I will understand/ 'Cause that is something everybody everywhere/ Does in the same language/ I can see from your coat, my friend you're from the other side/ There's just one thing I got to know/ Can you tell me please, who won?  The song tells of the horrors of the Viet Nam War, the desire to desert an unpopular war: Horror grips us as we watch you die/ All we can do is echo your anguished cries/ Stare as all human feelings die/ We are leaving; you don't need us. "Wooden Ships" was performed live by Crosby, Stills, and Nash at Woodstock in 1969.

.

Also in 1969, came "The Monster," an album by Steppenwolf.  The title song, written by Kay, Edmonton, St Nicholas, and Byrom is an epic poem of protest, depicting American history in scathing song. It speaks of wars from the Revolution to Viet Nam:  Once the religious, the hunted and weary/ Chasing the promise of freedom and hope/ Came to this country to build a new nation/ Far from the reaches of Kingdom and pope/ Like good Christians, some would burn the witches/ Later some got slaves to gather riches.  And: While we bullied, stole, and bought a homeland/ We began the slaughter of the red man.  Then the Civil War:  The Blue and Grey they stomped it/ They kicked it just like a dog.  And Viet Nam: We don't know how to mind our own business/ 'Cause the whole world's got to be just like us/ Now we are fighting a war over there/ No matter who's the winner we can't pay the cost.  The song concludes that America is a Monster of its own creation: America, where are you now/ Don't you care about your sons and daughters/ Don't you know we need you now/ We can't fight alone against the Monster.

.

In 1970, Edwin Starr's "War," written by Motown writers Whitefield and Strong was released, winning The Grammy Award for Rhythm and Blues Best Male Vocal.  "War" strongly protests the Viet Nam War and speaks of the social unrest it caused:...War, huh, good God y'all/ What is it good for/ Absolutely nothing.  And: War means tears to thousands of mothers' eyes/ When their sons go fight/ And lose their lives...War, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker, friend only to the undertaker...War has caused unrest/ Within the younger generation/ Induction then destruction/ Who wants to die?

.

In 1973, came the progressive rock album "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd, one of the greatest albums of all time.  Many of "the Floyd's" songs deal with war, and I cite the poignant "Us and Them," lyrics by Roger Waters:  Us, and them/ And after all we're only ordinary men/ Me, and you/ God only knows, it's not what we would choose to do/ Forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died/ and the general sat as the lines on the map moved from side to side. The line about the general has always puzzled me. I get a horrible image of a general sitting back, getting drunk while his men are being set up to die.

In 1987, Pink Floyd released the album " A Momentary Lapse of Reason," which contained "The Dogs of War," lyrics by David Gilmour.  This piece has the haunting refrain:  One world, it's a battleground/ One world and they smash it down/ One world...one world.

.

The 1990's brought us Alice In Chains.  In 1992, their album "Dirt" featured a song written by Ransome, Roberts, and Freckleton called "Rooster."  This song reflects the ordeal of the soldiers returning from Viet Nam.  The name Rooster comes from the eagle patch worn on the uniforms of the American soldiers.  In Viet Nam, there are no eagles; the Viet Cong thought the birds were chickens, male chickens being roosters:  Walkin' tall machine gun man/ they spit on me in my home land/ Gloria sent me pictures of my boy/ Got my pills 'gainst mosquito death/ My Buddy's breathin' his dyin' breath/ Oh, god please won't you help me make it through/ Here they come to snuff the rooster, awww yeah/ You know he ain't gonna die/ No, no, no ya know he ain't gonna die.

.

Last, but not least, dear Readers, in my research I came across a wonderful war poem-song written by Don McLean, from his album "American Pie," in 1971, a song I had never heard before.  It is called "The Grave."  I hope you will take three minutes to view this gem.

.

.