┊Chapter 1 : the calm before the storm, part 1.

- 8:57 p.m. -

It was raining outside.

I was pacing around my room, waiting for my friends to arrive so we could celebrate our 4 years of doing this tradition.

The doorbell rang.

I dash to the front door and open it. You could hear the excitement coming from the girls (Carolina & Victoria) as i open the door and welcome them in.

- A few moments later -

After chatting with eachother, we decided to order to order pizza, so we called at our local pizza place wich one of our classmates worked at so we could get the pizza for free.

A deep voice answered our phonecall, "Hello, Mark's Pizza here".

I was kinda surprised by the tone of voice that employee used. I know each and every one of those employees, there's no one with a deep voice..

I look at the girls, waiting for their approval because i wasn't sure if i should answer back to the employee.

They told for me to respond.

"Hello", I felt a little stressed, but i hope that wasn't noticeable.

"Hello, Kayla", the deep voice responded.

I got pretty suspicious of this so-called "employee", i mean, it could be our classmate pranking us, so i responded, again.

"Maverick, is that you?"

"No, Think better Kayla."

My smile faded really quick and my friends could tell that something was off. I mean, how many times have you seen some weird-ass employee with the voice of the ghostface speaking to you through call?!

"Where's Maverick..? I'd like to speak to him. "

"Maverick is gone Kayla. Now think, who could be call-"

I quickly interrupt the employee.

"Gone? What do you mean Maverick's gone? Gone as in.. dead?"

My eyes began tearing up.
Maverick had been our best-friend and classmate since kindergarten, we've been through so much together and there's no way I'm gonna let a mystery employee kill him. I can't even imagine loosing him like that..

My friends looked at me again. They were just as confused as i was.

I could hear the employee laugh, they were enjoying this.

"Come and find out for yourself."

They hung up.

I let the phone fall from my hand, as i looked at my friends.

"Maverick's gone." I said.

"Wait what?! Is this one of Rick's unfunny pranks?!" My friend Victoria said.

"No! That asshole told me that i should go over to the pizza place and see for myself!!" I was speaking so loud that even my neighbors could hear me.

"Girls, I'm sure this is just a joke. Let's just go to the pizza place, I'm totally sure that we'll find Maverick laughing as we pull up."

I wish i was as calm as Carolina right now, like she keeps reassuring us that Maverick isn't dead, even though the phonecall was pretty alarming. I don't know, maybe I'm dramatic, maybe i don't recognise his pranks well. I don't fucking know, i don't understand any of this, i-