Chapter 28 - New Battleships

"It's the Hawaii Operation with an objective to destroy Oahu, the main base of the Pacific Fleet. Regarding the deployed forces, similar to the previous operation, the four Yamato-class aircraft carriers and eight Amagi-class aircraft carriers will be the main forces. Originally, we wanted to include the Kongō-class aircraft carriers, but there was a strong request from the Southern Expeditionary Force to keep them in the same theater until the operation was complete. Therefore, they cannot be used in the Hawaii Operation, but we would like approval for this matter."

With a somewhat apologetic expression, Yoshida bowed his head, and Yamamoto reassured him not to worry with a wry smile and a comforting voice.

Yamamoto was also aware of the achievements of the Kongō-class aircraft carriers in the Southern Operation. At the beginning of the war, they crushed the US Army Air Corps in the Philippines, and further dealt a severe blow to the Allied fleet in the Asian region. Against elusive enemies like cruisers and destroyers that are difficult to detect with surface striking vessels, the Kongō-class aircraft carriers apparently easily annihilated them with their high-speed onboard aircraft. Furthermore, the carrier-based aircraft demonstrated their effectiveness in supporting ground operations, and there is a continuous stream of gratitude from the Imperial Army operating in the same theater.

"For the attack on Oahu, we will significantly revise the organization of the carrier air groups. In the Battle of Wake Island, the Amagi-class aircraft carriers had three attack squadrons and two fighter squadrons, while the Yamato-class aircraft carriers had four combat squadrons each. For the Amagi-class carriers in the attack on Oahu, we will have four fighter squadrons and one attack squadron, and for the Yamato-class aircraft carriers, we will have five fighter squadrons and three attack squadrons. The attack on Oahu is essentially an air superiority battle. Therefore, it requires a large number of fighter planes, and especially now that the Pacific Fleet has been annihilated, the demand for attack aircraft is not as significant."

Following Yoshida, Shiozawa's words prompted Yamamoto to calculate in his mind.

In the Battle of Wake Island, the 1st Mobile Fleet had 384 Zero fighters and 480 Type 1 carrier attack planes. For the Hawaii Operation, this is changed to 624 Zeros and 240 Type 1s. At first glance, it may seem too focused on fighter planes, but on the other hand, the Zero fighters boast a much larger bomb-carrying capacity than the A5Ms. A Zero can carry one 250 kg bomb or four 60 kg bombs. Moreover, the crew members are also trained in glide bombing, so if the target is a stationary ground target, they should be more than capable as substitutes for bombers.

"Also, with the progress of the Southern Operation, we will return the Nagato and Mutsu from Malay and the Myōkō-class from the Philippines to the homeland. With these, we will organize a surface striking force and conduct a naval bombardment on Hawaii to turn the area into a sea of flames. After all, one shot from a battleship's shell is equivalent to the bomb that a carrier attack plane can carry. Once a battleship jumps into the enemy's close range, its power is incomparable to aircraft."

Turning Oahu into a sea of flames is not a metaphor; it is genuine, and Yamamoto understood this from Shiozawa's words. Therefore, Yamamoto straightforwardly asked about what was also on his mind.

"What is the General Staff's assessment of Oahu's air strength and the possibility of the enemy fleet appearing?"

Shiozawa, too, answered only the key points, leaving out unnecessary details.

"As for the air power on Oahu, we know that about forty P-36s and one hundred P-40s were deployed to the island before the war started. Since it's unlikely for the strength to decrease once the war has started and may even increase, it would be prudent to assume a minimum of 200, and possibly around 300, fighter planes are present. As for the enemy fleet, it seems that two new battleships, the Washington and North Carolina, are being sent to the Pacific. It could be a force to prevent our intended naval bombardment, having sensed our intentions. If the situation is favorable, they might even engage in artillery duels during the day under the cover of Oahu's fighter umbrella."

At the mention of Washington and North Carolina, Yamamoto's gaze hardened. Built after the disarmament treaty, these ships represented a formidable force, distinct from the outdated battleships that preceded them. Equipped with the latest 40 cm guns, their maneuverability and defense are undoubtedly superior to their predecessors. Nevertheless, the fact remains that aircraft are already proven to be stronger than battleships, as demonstrated in the battles of the waters off Malay and Wake Island.

However, the action off Malay saw overwhelming Japanese regular forces defeating the small colonial guard fleet due to their numerical superiority. In the Battle of Wake Island, the ships sunk were all outdated battleships. But this time, the battle is in Hawaii, which can be considered the enemy's home ground. Hence, if the Washington and North Carolina were to be sunk, even those skeptical about the superiority of aircraft over battleships would have to acknowledge the truth. Yamamoto thought along these lines, but there is something even more crucial that needs verification.

"I would like these battleships to make an appearance, but there is a more concerning presence. It's the movement of the last surviving American aircraft carrier, the Hornet. After all, the carrier is the nemesis of our mobile force."

Anticipating Yamamoto's question, Shiozawa nodded slightly and spoke.

"The Hornet is still in the Atlantic. And this ship will not come to Hawaii. As you said, the Hornet is the last American aircraft carrier. If it were to be sunk, the reconstruction of the newly formed mobile force would become extremely difficult. For some time to come, the ship will continue to exist as a training carrier, nurturing rare breeds such as crew members, maintenance personnel, weapon specialists, and aircraft handling crew."