Chapter 21 - Mobile Force

"While it was not possible to get ahead of the enemy, the fact that we were able to detect their presence without falling behind should be considered a reasonably successful outcome."

The air search conducted by two waves of Type 1 carrier attack bombers launched from the four aircraft carriers of Force B, namely Yamato, Musashi, Shinano, and Kai, formed an extensive and dense reconnaissance network due to their large number. This easily led to the identification of the whereabouts and strength composition of the Pacific Fleet. What the Type 1s discovered were five battleships forming the core of the surface striking force, and behind them, a mobile force consisting of two aircraft carriers, forming a total of three groups and four fleets. Of these, the information about the six aircraft carriers, knowing that the Hornet is in the Atlantic, confirms the identification of two each of the Lexington-class and Yorktown-class, and the Wasp and Ranger without any doubt.

"It seems that deploying a large number of reconnaissance planes was successful. If we had hesitated to launch the attackers for fear of a decrease in attack power, we might not have discovered the Pacific Fleet. If that had happened, the worst-case scenario of not knowing the enemy and the enemy not knowing us would have unfolded."

Having discovered the enemy fleet, there was a slight relief, and in response to the somewhat relieved expression in the soliloquy-like inquiry from Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, Rear Admiral Kiyohide Shima, the Chief of Staff, also showed a hint of relief in his expression. However, he emphasized the importance of reconnaissance, that is, the importance of information. Shima is an authority in communication tactics and demonstrates excellent capabilities in enemy intelligence analysis. Naturally, Shima never underestimated the collection of information for analysis, and the massive deployment of Type 1s for reconnaissance strongly expressed his intention.

"For the mobile fleet, the most important thing is not the aircraft carriers or carrier-based aircraft but superior information gathering capability and analytical power. In other words, it's about building an organic information network on the battlefield, as the Chief of Staff always emphasizes. When it was said that fighter planes and attack planes are also information terminals, I didn't quite understand it, but with the actual discovery of the Pacific Fleet and the detailed report on its strength composition by the attackers, I finally understood what the Chief of Staff was trying to convey. And, above all, it is important not to hesitate in using these information terminals."

While directing a grateful smile toward Shima, Yamamoto issued orders. Just like they had discovered the enemy, they too had already been discovered by the enemy. In the intense battle between mobile fleets where every moment counts, there is no room for leisurely conversation.

"For the three identified mobile fleets, designate them as A1, A2, and A3 from the north. Also, designate the forward surface striking force as B1. Launch the attack squadrons immediately. Force A will attack A1 and Force B will attack A2. As for A3, let Force C attack it. Target selection is left to each squadron commander, but aircraft with bombs should focus on escort vessels such as cruisers and destroyers, and torpedo bombers should exclusively target aircraft carriers. Furthermore, the escort fighter squadrons should prioritize defending our attacking aircraft over intercepting the enemy's fighters. No matter how many enemy fighters you shoot down, consider it a defeat if the attack planes are shot down. Don't worry about B1. Among the crew, there are many eager to sink battleships, but first, eliminate the aerial threat by taking out the aircraft carriers."

Upon Yamamoto's orders, two Type 1s from each of the Yamato, Musashi, Shinano, and Kai departed from the flight decks, turning their noses towards the eastern sky. These aircraft were tasked with maintaining contact or conducting advance reconnaissance. Following them, one squadron of 12 Zero fighters and three squadrons of 36 Type 1s from the aircraft carriers of Forces A, B, and C, respectively, took off one by one, kicking off into the vast sky.

While both the Yamato-class and Amagi-class carriers were commendable regular aircraft carriers, the larger Yamato-class carriers, in particular, could 48 planes simultaneously on their own, unlike the medium-sized Amagi-class carriers. Because air power is most effective when concentrated, it was undesirable to split the attack squadrons into two waves just because simultaneous launching was not possible. The solution devised was the equipment and operation of catapults. Despite Japan facing a slight lag in industrial and chemical capabilities compared to the West, with a reasonable budget and personnel allocation, it was possible to develop such systems, albeit taking some time. If the Imperial Navy had clung to the traditional battleship-centric doctrine and scrimped on aviation-related budgets, catapults might never have seen the light of day.

The 576 planes launched from the twelve carriers began their eastward advance over the fleet without waiting for the trailing planes. In the past, the planes that launched the earliest would circle over the fleet, waiting for the trailing planes to join and form up before starting the advance. However, this approach incurred significant fuel and time losses.

Therefore, the first-launched aircraft would advance at reduced speed, while the trailing aircraft would accelerate to quickly catch up with the leading ones. This way, fuel and time losses could be minimized.

However, this was also the result of the ingenuity and efforts of communication or information-oriented officers and soldiers, including Shima, who understood the importance of advanced equipment such as excellent radios and, above all, the battlefield network. Unfortunately, those in the aviation field, often focusing on aircraft and carrier performance and tactics, might not have been able to achieve the essential task of systematizing the mobile fleet. Nevertheless, by transitioning to an aviation-centric approach early on, not only the frontline forces like fighter and bomber squadrons but also support units, including communication, are now well-equipped. Supported by these assets, the 576-strong attack squadron, having formed up during their advance, headed straight for the American mobile fleet.

A fierce battle was imminent.