Ocean Blue Eyes (part two)

Midnight cities, lovestruck looks, speeding cars and winding streets, moonlit glass and wandering hands

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ─

They left Joe's, the cool evening air a reprieve from the warmth of the crowded bar. Jack's hand slipped away from the small of her back, and he shrugged off his jacket and handed it to her.

"You look cold."

She smiled and pulled his jacket on. It had cooled down since they'd arrived several hours ago, and even though the night air felt good on her flaming skin, a chill had already set in.

"Where are we going?" she asked, curious. Though she had suggested they leave Joe's and swap the busy establishment for a quieter spot, she didn't know the city very well.

"I have an idea. You can see the best stars in Seattle from this place, my sister Brooke showed me a couple years ago."

Stars? It was like he already knew her so well. She was infatuated with the night sky, and stars in particular.

"Well in that case, I'll follow your lead."

They walked to Jack's truck, and he opened her door for her and helped her inside. They drove away, bouncing over city streets and people-watching as the night unfolded around them. Jack pointed out places around the city that he had memorable calls at, and Gracie asked him if every other restaurant, bar, and coffee shop they passed was good. The answers varied; he promised to take her to the better ones sometime. Fade Into You by Mazzy Star played quietly through the speakers, and the busyness of the city began to dissipate as they drove south along fourth avenue.

After a few more minutes, Jack pulled up next to a building that appeared to be an abandoned apartment. He killed the engine and helped Gracie down from the truck's passenger side, and she wanted to memorize the feel of his hand holding hers.

"Where are we going?"

"Up the fire escape, to the roof."

"Are you crazy?" she laughed.

He shook his head. "Not at all."

"How do you know it's safe? It looks abandoned."

"Don't worry, it's only a few flights of stairs. I've done this a hundred times. We can hold onto each other."

She closed her mouth and nodded. Completely sober Gracie wouldn't go near anything more than a couple feet off the ground if she could help it, but champagne and rum and coke and butterflies were shooting through her veins like stardust.

Gracie followed Jack up the fire escape, one step behind him, their hands interlocked. The metal steps were surprisingly sturdy under her feet, and she didn't feel so afraid.

They made it all the way up to the roof, where a couple of old furniture items were scattered about. Three chairs, some benches, and a rickey patio table.

"Look up," Jack whispered, and sure enough, the stars were clear as ever from this one spot on the roof. Tall concrete walls from other unlit, abandoned buildings provided the right amount of darkness for stargazing. There was less light pollution in this part of the city.

"They're beautiful," Gracie sighed.

"Here, hold on." He gently set his hands on her waist and turned her a bit until she was angled differently.

"There," he said with a smile. "You see it?"

She nodded. "The Milky Way."

It was a faint cloud of white dust and light, but it was certainly visible. Jack moved to stand beside her and look up at the night sky. An easy silence lapsed between them as their bodies drifted closer together. She looked at Jack, and the next thing she knew, his lips were on hers and her arms were around his neck.

It was a gentle kiss that sent starlight racing throughout each and every nerve in her body. His lips brushed against hers and she pulled herself closer to him, closer to those ocean blue eyes.

When they finally broke apart, Gracie couldn't stop smiling, and neither could Jack. She threw her arms around him and buried her face in his chest.

"Thank you for everything tonight," she murmured, suddenly exhausted.

Her ran his hand over the back of her soft curls and rested his chin on top of her head. "Thank you, Gracie."

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ─That night, as she drove home 

listening to her sappy Taylor Swift love song playlist, it hit her that she was still wearing his jacket.

She smiled to herself and wrapped it around her body tighter, the material huge on her smaller frame.

He'd have to get the jacket back eventually. It was just an excuse to see him again soon, she decided.