Chapter 5: Little Do You Know (That) Mamma Knows Best

5 |  Little Do You Know (That) Mamma Knows Best

"Yeah!" I screamed as we went through another loop. "Woohoo! This is awesome!"

Colton was laughing heartily beside me as he let his arms dangle in the air. I laughed alongside him as we rode through the last loop, grinning from ear to ear.

All too soon, the ride was over, and I found myself disappointed at the realization, my lips curving into a slight frown. Colton and I exited the ride to the right, and I stumbled a bit as I descended the flight of stairs. Immediately, a warm arm wrapped around my waist to stop myself from tumbling down the steps, and my stomach began to turn into a complicated series of knots. I was brought flush against another firm chest and my eyes met intense sapphire orbs, giving me the inability to breathe for a moment.

In the next second, a chill settled over the place where his arm had been, and I fought off a shiver that threatened to quake my entire body. A rosy tint entered my cheeks, however, and I had to look away to compose myself and hurry down the steps, muttering an awkward thanks.

Walking side by side, Colton and I said nothing, but I was grateful that it wasn't uncomfortable-but actually it was quite the contrary. The silence felt welcoming and safe as we traveled deeper into the mass of the animated carnival crowd.

"Colton!" A high-pitched voice eagerly squealed and in a blur, a girl flung herself into Colton's arms.

A lazy grin entered his face as he held the mysterious girl tightly, muttering something into her ear and making her let out a girly giggle. I squinted my eyes at her and immediately deemed her as untrustworthy. Don't ask me why, I could just feel it.

It'd been a good minute or so since the girl attacked Colton, and the two didn't seem like they were letting go anytime soon. I coughed awkwardly, feeling entirely too uncomfortable. I was in the midst of turning around to find Zach, when Colton called my name.

I set my gaze on him, confused as to why he wanted to talk to me. I mean, obviously he had enough company as it was. I raised my eyebrows in question.

If it was possible, his smile got even bigger. "This is Olivia Mueller, Olivia, this is Cassidy Dean," He introduced.

A fake smile was plastered on my face as Olivia pushed her hand forward. "Hello! It's so nice to meet you!" She greeted happily.

She was bubbly. Too bubbly.

It was just like having another Zach, and I definitely did not need one of those.

The first thing I noticed was her hair. It was a light chestnut brown with the tips reaching the tops of her shoulders. And it was shiny. Like really shiny. It looked as glossy as . . . well I didn't even know what to compare it to—it was that incredible. I was half tempted to ask what shampoo and conditioner she used.

I reached up to touch my hair subconsciously, and I realized I probably looked like an idiot and put my hand hesitantly into hers. "Nice to meet you too," I replied with a smile that probably looked more like a grimace.

I didn't fail to notice that Olivia still had her arm wrapped around Colton's either.

Then her face morphed into something close to regret. "Oh, geez. You're probably going to think I'm the rudest person ever, but I need to steal Colton away for a bit, if you don't mind?"

I ground my teeth but nodded pleasantly. "Oh, yeah, yeah. That's fine, don't worry about me or anything!"

That mega-watt smile came back. "Thanks so much!"