02, grief and guilt

It had been years since Emmie had set foot in Mystic Falls, and yet the memories flooded back

It had been years since Emmie had set foot in Mystic Falls, and yet the memories flooded back. The air felt heavy with the weight of secrets.

Arriving at the familiar Salvatore House, Emmie was met with a mix of nostalgia. The house stood as a silent witness to supernatural conflicts. As she stepped through the doorway, Emmie knocked.

"Damon," Emmie greeted him, "It's been a long time."

Damon's lips curled into a smile as he regarded her with a mixture of amusement and suspicion. "Emmie Fowler," he replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "I wasn't expecting to see you back in town."

Ignoring the tension crackling between them, Emmie pressed on, her eyes locking with Damon's. "Where's Stefan". 

Damon regarded her with a mixture of curiosity and wariness, "Out with Elena"

Emmie responds, "Right the doppleganger". 

Emmie's words hung in the air, a sharp reminder of the tangled history between them. Damon's smirk widened,  "But I'm afraid Stefan's not here at the moment. He's off playing the hero with Elena. And according to Stefan Elena is not Katherine which I agree. Anyways just come in"

Damon led Emmie into the spacious living room,  "Make yourself at home," he offered, his tone surprisingly gracious. "Can I get you anything? A drink, perhaps?"

Emmie shook her head, declining Damon's offer with a small but grateful smile. "No, thank you," she replied, her gaze wandering to the fireplace where memories of happier times. 

Finally, Damon broke the silence, his voice low and measured. "So, what brings you back to Mystic Falls after all this time?" he asked, his tone betraying a hint of genuine interest.

Emmie hesitated, unsure how much to reveal to Damon about the real reason for her return. "My best friend Daphne died recently" she admitted quietly. Damon his cocky self said, "Oh yeah, annoying, crazy, anger issues hybrid."  Emmie forced herself to maintain her composure. "Well, she's more than that at least she's not cocky like you" she retorted,  "She was my friend, Damon" Damon's expression softened slightly at the mention of Daphne, a flicker of remorse crossing his features. "Fine I'm sorry for your loss, even tho she was annoying as hell" he said genuinely, his tone devoid of his usual sarcasm. "Losing someone you care about is never easy."

Emmie nodded, grateful for Damon's unexpected display of empathy. "Yeah, so why not return to this place" she replied. The room fell into a heavy silence as Emmie and Damon grappled with the weight of their shared grief.  Finally, Damon cleared his throat, breaking the sombre mood. "So, what's your plan now that you're back in Mystic Falls?" he asked, his tone lighter than before. Emmie shrugged, unsure how to answer. "Honestly, I'm not sure," Damon nodded in understanding, though there was a glint of mischief in his eyes. "Well, just stay out of your witchy stuff".