Chapter Forty Five

The second the queens winnowed into Feyre's estate- this time only the elderly one and the golden one came- I knew they had the Book.

I flinched at the unsettling feel of its power, as it silently hissed my name. Just like last time, I stood between Cassian and Azriel. The latter took notice of my unease, and shifted his eyes to me almost imperceptibly.

What is it? I heard him say as I peered into his mind.

I kept my gaze focused on the golden queen. She has the Book. I can sense it, I told him.

Azriel didn't so much as shift, ever the seemingly emotionless spymaster. Are you alright? He asked. I would have been annoyed at his concern, but considering what had happened last time I was near the Book, I supposed his worry was well deserved.

I nodded slightly, and we both shifted our attention to the queens, Rhys and Feyre. "We appreciate you taking the time to see us again." Rhysand said cooly.

The young queen nodded to Rhys, then scanned us. Her eyes locked onto mine, and lingered for a moment. I held her gaze until she continued inspecting my companions.

"After being so gravely insulted last time..." the old queen sneered. Her eyes went to Nesta. "We debated for many days whether we should return. As you can see, three of us found the insult to be unforgivable." For such an old, seemingly experienced woman, she was a terrible liar.

Feyre responded in an impressively calm tone. "If that is the worst insult any of you have ever received in your lives, I'd say you're all in for quite a shock when war comes." I almost smiled.

The gold queens lips twitched. "So he won your heart after all, Cursebreaker." She purred.

Feyre held the woman's stare as she, Rhys and Mor sat down. "I do not think that it is a mere coincidence that the Cauldron let us find each other on the eve of war returning to our two peoples." The female said.

"The Cauldron? And two peoples?" The young queen drawled. "Our people do not invoke a Cauldron; our people do not have magic. The way I see it, there is your people- and ours. You are little better than those Children of the Blessed." It was an effort not to sigh. "What does happen to them when they cross the wall?" She angled her head at Rhys, then at Cassian and Azriel. I wanted to slap her as she stared at them hatefully.

The human queen continued. "Are they prey? Or are they used and discarded, and left to grow old and infirm while you remain young forever? Such a pity... so unfair that you, Cursebreaker, received what all those fools no doubt begged for. Immortality, eternal youth... What would Lord Rhysand have done if you had aged while he had not?"

For a moment, I thought Rhys might lose it. "Is there a point to all your questions other than to hear yourself talk?" He said. The queen chuckled, turning to her companion.

The old woman extended an aged hand to Mor, who held the Veritas. My heart grew heavy in my chest. "Is that the proof we asked for?" She asked.

But before Mor could say yes, Feyre spoke desperately. "Is my love for the High Lord not proof enough of our good intentions? Does my sisters presence here not speak to you? There is an iron engagement ring upon my sisters finger- and yet she stands with us." I stopped myself from turning to look at Elain's hand.

"I would say that is proof of your idiocy," the golden queen hissed, "to be engaged to a Fae-hating man... and risk the match by associating with you."

"Do not," Nesta threatened quietly. "Judge what you know nothing about."

"The viper speaks again." The gold queen raised her brows at Feyre. "Surely the wise decision would have been to have her sit this meeting out."

"She offers up her house and risks her social standing for us to have these meetings," Feyre said. "She has the right to hear what is spoken in them. To stand as a representative of the people of these lands. They both do."