P R O L O G U E

The sun shone down on me, how i hate the heat

The sun shone down on me, how i hate the heat. Reaping day was tomorrow - my nerves always raised around reaping day and rightfully so, if i'm reaped i probably wouldn't make it. It's not that i'm not strong - Finnick said i was. I'm just not very... Charmismatic!

Finnick was angry and clingy and i can see why, i would be clingy too - not just because i am so loveable, believe it or not. I knocked on our house in Victor's Village and Finnick opened the door "Maya," he moved out the way so i could walk in before shutting the door behind me "I got you a new dress for The Reaping, thought they'd bring you good luck. It's in your room." Well. First of all Finnick, they're clothes, i'd be mind-blown if clothes saved my life, absolutely jaw-dropped - eyes wide, surprised.

All i said was a quick "Thank you." before i went to my room to see the dress, it was beautiful. A pale blue dress that looked as though it reached lower thigh, i ran my hand over the soft fabric. Smiling widely i walked back over to Finnick "It's beautiful. I love it." I hugged him, and he hugged back. We had always been close, especially after his games - he struggled with intense nightmares for months, he still does but they aren't as bad - plus he has Annie now too! She sweet, a little how do i say it? Crazy? I mean not in the bad way, like i think she had a right to be crazy, i mean she went through something terrible.

"Finnick." I spoke as we continued to hug. He looked at me "What is it Duck?" Duck. I never really got this nickname - it always seemed quite random to me, and it is "If i do get reaped this year, do you reckon i have a chance?" My voice cracked slightly, the fear was getting to me. I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid. I'm not- "Maya. I said, youwon't get reaped, your name's only in there 5 times." I nodded, i've never had to take Tesserae due to my Cousin's victor status.

I squeezed my eyes shut as Finnick gave me a squeeze before letting go "You won't get reaped Maya." let's hope not! I imagine if i get reaped that i'd be too ambitious and die in the bloodbath, the careers would smile as they drown me in my own blood. Fun!

I walked back to my room and laid down - Worrying had tired me out, today might be the final time i sleep in my bed so i better make the most of it. I looked around my room, it had remained the samd since i had moved in with Finnick. My parents were never the best, but Finnick was - even after his Games, and the trauma he went through. He always tried to be there and i will forever love him for that. These thoughts raced my mind, of River and Rory and Finnick and Annie. What would they do if I was reaped. What would i do? I don't have a weapon of choice or anyhting like that, so i guess i will stick woth my bloodbath plan.

Eventually i laid down - placing my head on my pillow as i closed my eyes, would this be the last time i slept here?

I couldn't sleep. I felt as though i was missing out on so much - despite the fact that it was uncertain whether i was getting reaped this year. I feel the same every year - and i'm always okay, so i don't know what's the problem this year.

I didn't but i will soon.