"Oh common, stupid Dazai!" slurred Y/n who had had no more to drink than the much taller man, simply a much lower tolerance, "One more ride, common..."

She tugged on the taller man's sleeve and he looked down at her gently.

"Y/n, it's time to go home. We have work in the morning and you're.." he trailed off.

The smaller girl tilted her head slightly to the side as she looked up at him, her hand still tightly gripping his sleeve.

"I'm what..?" she asked softly.

Dazai felt something in his chest clench. Her lips slightly parted, her face flushed, there was just something captivating in the moment. Maybe it was the drinks, maybe it was that she had been right, he had loved the festival, maybe it was just that she had gone out of her way to try and do something kind for him, something no one had ever done before. 

He wanted to tell her that she made him laugh and that the only reason he'd been anywhere near happy since leaving the mafia, the only family he'd ever really known, behind was because of her and her meanness and her teasing and her laughter and her joy. He wanted to thank her for all of it, everything she had done to make him feel more at home in his new life.

"You're... you're drunk Y/n." he settled on, clearing his throat.

"Am not!" she cried defensively, letting go of his coat and turning to the side to walk a straight line, "I'm perfectly woah!"

She had lost her balance and Dazai caught her in his arms. With a groan, the girl put a fist to her head and scrunched her eyes shut.

"Y/n, Y/n! Are you okay?" Dazai asked, clearly worried.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and looked up at him.

"Hi pretty boy." she smiled, still holding a hand to her head, "I think I've been looking for you."

Dazai blushed slightly in the moonlight.

Oh he thought to himself that was what he really wanted to say to her. He wanted to tell her she was beautiful.

For all his incessent flirting with practically every woman he didn't work with, he couldn't bring himself to say it. Not now, not like this. Not when he had no idea what was going on, when she had no idea what she was really doing to him.

"Are you okay?" he asked again, softly this time as he helped the girl to stand on her own.

"I think... I think I am drunk." she muttered as she collapsed back into the taller man, "Really really drunk."

With a sigh, Dazai picked her up.

"Hold on." he hummed as he began to walk back towards the lights of the center city.

"Where.. where are we going?" yawned Y/n, nuzzling her face into the black fabric of his jacket and allowing her wings to cradle the both of them.

"Home." was all Dazai responded with, looking straight ahead.

"Oh." Y/n said.

They walked in silence for a moment before Y/n spoke once more.

"Dazai, I'm tired."

"So sleep."

"You won't mind?"

"Not one bit angel, not one bit."

The next morning, Y/n awoke to a splitting headache and the smell of pancakes. Looking around at the unfamiliar setting she found herself in, all she saw was a mostly empty, neat room.

"Fuck." she mumbled to herself, putting her hands to her head and trying to remember what had occurred.

"Y/n, you up yet?" came a familiar voice and she looked up to see Dazai poke his head into the room, "I made pancakes for breakfast."

"What... what happened..?" she groaned softly, leaning her head into her left hand and giving him an inquisitive look.

"You took me to that festival last night and you got really drunk. You asked me to carry you home. You couldn't walk straight."

"So you brought me here?"

"Not like I know where you live."

Y/n felt heat rush to her cheeks and she looked down into my lap, fiddling with the tips of a few of her feathers. Dazai leaned against the doorway, watching her embarrassment and confusion.

"We didn't... did we?" she asked hesitantly after a moment and Dazai laughed.

"You're so cute when you're embarrassed." he teased

"Shut up stupid idiot!" Y/n yelped, jumping up out of the bed.

"You really don't remember anything?"

Balling her fists into the hem of her wrinkled dress, she shook her head no, eyes on the floor. Suddenly there was something warm on her head and she looked up to see Dazai beside her, his hand pressed into her hair comfortingly. He chuckled lightly and ruffled it hair a bit.

"Nothing happened. I promise. Why don't you come have some pancakes and then I'll walk you to your house so you can get ready for work."

Rewritten: December 12th 2023

Edited: January 27th 2024