Chapter Four

After that day in the conference room, they began to handle one another with much more care. Of course there was still the constant teasing, the jokes at one another's expense, the occasional little quarrel, but they were much more gentle with it all now. There was no ill intent hidden in the words, there was just something becoming a friendship.

They had even been on assignments together since fixing whatever broken thing was between them. Dazai had to admit, Y/n's ability was well named. Just earlier that day she had gotten him out of a tight spot, scooping him up in her arms and using her wings to get him out of range of an enemy attack.

Maybe it was because they were physically apart of her being, Dazai wasn't sure, but his ability never seemed to cancel out her wings. In the few times they had touched, a handshake here, helping each other back to their feet there, his ability had never even made them waver. When he had asked about it, she had shrugged. Apparently, she had been born with them.

Dazai nudged Y/n where she lay asleep on the couch in the Agency's waiting area with the toe of his shoe. She grumbled, pulling her wings around her like a blanket as she rolled over. He nudged her again.

"Whdya want." she grumbled, her words slurred with sleep.

Almost the minute they had gotten back from their mission, she had collapsed into this nap. It had been an hour and a half since.

"Wake up."

Y/n groaned.

"Just let me sleep, stupid." she mumbled, waving him off lazily.

Dazai sighed, placing his hands on his hips and looking wistfully off to the side.

"Well, I was gonna ask if you wanted to go get some ice cream with me since I finished all of our paperwork from the last assignment, but I guess if you're too tired..."

Y/n shot up immediately. He knew it would work. It was hard not to notice the girl's sweet tooth when she was constantly begging Rampo to share his candy with her.

"Ice cream?" she repeated and he nodded, "You... would you potentially maybe be willing to bring some back for me?"

Dazai scoffed, rolling his eyes as he looked down at her. Her hair was a mess from the nap and her wings still wrapped around her body.

"No?" he laughed and she pouted, looking away from him, "Look, I'm not forcing you to come but if you want ice cream, you're gonna have to walk with me to get it."

Y/n shot him an analytic gaze out of the corner of her eye, looking him up and down.

"Fine." she said at last, shakily getting to her feet, "You win. Loser."

"I'm literally taking you to get ice cream. Don't call me a loser."

"Whatever... loser." she shot back with a teasing little grin.

The pair had spent time alone together, sure. Never like this. Dazai peered over at Y/n out of the corner of his eye as they made their way down the street. Still obviously sleepy, her gaze was fixed on her feet as if she was worried she would trip if she looked anywhere else. He also noticed she was humming slightly. It was oddly... endearing.

"I can feel you're looking at me." Y/n commented after a few moments.

Dazai fought back the heat rising to his cheeks and quickly turned back to the street ahead of them.

"Was not." he grumbled.

"Were too!" she laughed back, looking over at him, "It's okay, I wont tell anyone. I know you gotta keep your 'cool guy' exterior or whatever."