Stiles bites the tip of his tongue to keep from countering with something witty and funny. Now isn’t the time, and he shows it by keeping a serious face and a low tone when he says, “Just ten minutes, Parrish.”

Parrish instantly composes himself with a firm nod before leaving them to it.

Derek arches a brow, feeling a little impressed. “I didn’t know you had a serious side, let alone an authoritative one...albeit, barely.”

Stiles mock-laughs before flipping him the middle finger.

Derek chuckles, nods. “Well, that lasted long.”

Stiles rolls his eyes, ignoring his taunt by asking, “So, can you smell anything yet?”

Derek pauses, eyes Stiles curiously, because he feels like something is off with him. But what concerns him more is that–“Why isn’t Scott here, too?”

Stiles doesn’t know how his heart doesn’t so much as stutter when he says, “She was forced to almost kill this dude, so, I’m guessing she’s just taking a short breather.” He definitely feels guilty when Derek looks all bummed out. Stiles tells him, “Look, don’t worry, she’s fine, OK? She’s not having a breakdown or anything. I just talked to her on the way over here, and I’m going to see her after I’m done here.”

Without missing a beat, Derek says “Good. I’m going with you.”

“Wha...” Stiles pauses when Derek arches a brow and asks, “Problem?”

Stiles grits his teeth and mumbles, “No.”

Derek smiles a little too sweetly for Stiles’ irritation right now. He doesn’t see the face Stiles pulls behind his back as he walks away, but he doesn’t need to because he can hear the small little huff that goes with.

Stiles folds his arms, smirking smugly as he watches the wolf look around for a few moments. Stiles then says, “So, I know I could never beat you in a real fight, but it still goes without saying that if you EVER mess with Scotty while she’s in heat, I will bitch slap into the Sun.”

Derek pauses, slowly turns with a scowl and says, “Why would you think I’d ever do that?”

Stiles blinks, rather taken off guard by sour-wolf’s soft and slightly strained tone. And then, Stiles’ blood runs cold when he fucking remembers–“Oh, my God! Dude, I am SO sorry! I didn’t mean to bring up old shit for you! I was just kidding! Well, kind of, ‘cause I have the brotherly talk with all her boyfriends and girlfriends–b-but I TOTALLY wasn’t insinuating you were ANYTHING like Ka–“

“Stiles, breathe, goddamn it.” Derek huffs, but is now smiling and looking rather amused.

And Stiles blows out a sigh of relief upon just seeing him do that alone.

“I wasn’t even thinking about Kate.” Derek chuckles, shakes his head and says, “Just thought you two trusted me by now.”

“Oh, dude, we do! We totally do!” Stiles eagerly tells him, though, smiles sheepishly while then adding, “I mean, Scott trusts you more than I do, but that’s just ‘cause she likes you...uh, more. She likes you more. I totally like you–“

“Good God, stop.”

“Yes. Thank you.”

Derek groans quietly, turning away from Stiles to focus more on scenting the scene.

Stiles sighs and follows after the wolf, though, makes sure to give him enough space to do his wolfy thang.

“So, I’m guessing you overheard the conversation I had with my dad.” Stiles continues when the wolf nods, “Well, we’ve gotta be quick about this. We have six minutes left. And Scott said this guy called himself a ‘wendigo’–which there is just too much contradictory lore for me to even begin weeding out which information is fake or not.”