Baby, it's cold outside |Karen|

To say things have gone according to plan would be a lie

To say things have gone according to plan would be a lie. I never wanted to be in this janky town, let alone stuck here for the holidays. See, I was on my way back home from a short business trip and I had to pass through Massachusetts. My original idea was that I'd stop in some random town and get a souvenir for my niece because she loves the expensive little trinkets.

I ended up having to pee so I pulled over, quickly finding somewhere to stop. It was obvious to me then that this town wasn't my speed. In fact, it blew my mind that anyone would willingly choose to live here but I digress. As I was drying my hands, getting ready to head back to the car, something on the tv caught my attention.

An unexpected snowstorm has blown in from the north, winds up to 20mph. Highways are temporarily being shut down due to multiple crashes, including 4 piles-ups as of the last hour, resulting in extensive injury. I repeat, highways are temporarily closed and everyone is advised to stay inside. Stay safe folks!

As I stared at the screen, dread flooded my veins. The map of the surrounding area was filled with red lines, indicating the roads that were closed. Based on this information, it was clear there was no way I'd get home anytime soon. So, unfortunately, I had to settle for staying in this little town but I figured it just be sort of like a layover.

That was 2 weeks ago. The snow hasn't ceased, if anything it's picked up even more. It's projected that the roads won't be safe to travel on for a least another few days. I ended up having to move from the hotel I was staying at because their power went out due to the high winds. Luckily, I was able to snag a small rental house with an exceptional heating system.

I contacted all the people who would care that I wouldn't be arriving home for the holidays and they were disappointed but understanding. I, on the other hand, was not so gracious in accepting this delay. Which leads me to now, sitting on the beach by myself, staring out at the water as my mind drifts like a piece of wood on the waves.

I pull my knees closer to my chest, one hand running through the cold sand. A breeze passes by and chills me to the bone causing me to shiver. You'd think a place that looks so tropical wouldn't get so cold; maybe I'm just not used to such temperatures. A steady wind continues to blow and I pull my coat tighter around my body.

As I try to get my hands warm under my arms, I suddenly feel a break in the air. I look up, as I'm partially shielded from the harsh winds, to see the woman with pink hair standing over me. I suppose my fight or flight should've kicked in by now but I'm too busy being stunned by her beauty. Even now, with slightly blue lips and dirt from who knows how long ago soiling her thick coat, she's easily a sight for sore eyes.

I've encountered her a few times during my stay here; the first being the most unpleasant. However, she mellowed out after realizing I wasn't a threat and I sort of grew fond of her. Most of our conversations were short and, somewhat, sweet. Of course she was still hesitant; probably because I'm still a relative stranger. Yet there seemed to be a certain... likeness between us.