Chapter 5

Alice woke up, this time unable to go back to sleep. She kept having the same reoccurring dream over and over again. 

This strange old man was telling her that this magic coin she had ordered was going to transform her life forever--if she obliged to what it wanted.

Alice could feel the sweat drip down her neck and saturate her hair. She didn't understand where she was exactly. Something didn't seem too familiar about the room she was in and she wondered if this was still her tiny apartment. 

She glanced at the clock--two-fifty-five AM. She rubbed her eyes and sighed. She knew she probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. 

She flung the covers off of her and slowly got out of bed. She could feel the carpet--something was definitely different. It wasn't crusty and old anymore--it felt new.

The smell was gone, too. 

Alice couldn't see anything in the dark, let alone what was right in front of her. She wiggled her toes and felt the carpet--it was definitely new. 

Alice wasn't sure what to do. After a few minutes, she gathered up enough courage to get up. She wondered if the dream she had about the sorcerer and the coin actually happened or if it was all in her head. 

She gripped the sheets nervously and forced herself up. Alice got up and made her way through the room. 

She tried searching for a light-switch on the wall but it was no use. She felt around in the dark realizing then that this was certainly most definitely not her bedroom. 

She made her way through the doorway and felt the wall again, this time finding a light-switch.

She flicked it on and her jaw dropped. The light in the hallway illuminated most of the room that lead passed it.  Alice was stunned.

Out in the hallway there was what looked like a huge kitchen. She carefully stepped into the room and couldn't believe what she saw. 

There was a gas stove that was across from the counter island. 

Two double oven doors stood next to the stove, in the wall. 

There was an overhead where the stove was--stainless steel. 

The fridge was also in the wall--the same material as the cabinets.

Alice could see there was a table two feet away from the counter island. She strained to see what was passed the table to the left but the room was huge.

Alice stepped forward and glanced up at the ceiling--it was beautiful. Floral patterns floated on the cream colored ceiling and small butterflies made their way in a zig-zag along the edges. 

Was this all hers?

She reached out to touch the counter--it felt cold. 

This wasn't a dream.

She carefully walked passed the kitchen, taking notes of how elegant everything was.

She had never been in a place as fancy as this.

Alice walked through to the living room, which was decorated in expensive looking furniture.

There was a stone fireplace with carved wood and a leather "L" shaped couch.

Two armchairs were opposite the couch off to the left.

On either side of the fireplace were two bookshelves.

Dark red and gold were etched into the large rug that was underneath the coffee table and couch. 

A flat-screen television was tucked away in the corner--the remote controller resting neatly next to it on the surface of the entertainment system.

Alice thought for sure she was dreaming. Who could all of this belong to?

The tall lamp stood in the corner where the two armchairs were--she could smell the rich mahogany.

She walked over to the bookshelf, running her fingertips along each spine of the books. These looked older--from famous authors everyone knew. 

Alice could tell the books were well over their age. Their red and gold appearance indicated to her that they were worth more then this house.

She felt uneasy as if someone were watching her. She turned around quickly to be met by a small short woman, wearing a gray looking outfit. 

The woman quietly kitted her fingers together nervously. 

Her eyes grew bigger as Alice continued to stare at her.

Then the woman suddenly spoke. 

"Um...miss Alice? Is everything ok? We cleaned the books, just like you asked. Did we miss something?"

Alice was too stunned to speak and it took her a few seconds before she had a chance to answer. 

"I'm sorry, we?"

The woman looked down then back up again, hesitating to meet Alice's gaze.

"Yes, well, it is me and the other servants."

Servants?

Alice wasn't sure what to do next so she just nodded.

"Are you working tomorrow? All of you?"

The woman bit her nail. 

"Yes, we are. You are having a big dinner party this Friday so we need to get the property in order. Your bartender will be here and your gardening management team."

Alice felt as though she was going to be sick. 

Gardening management team?

Alice nodded again.

"I see. Well, cancel all plans. I'm giving you all the day off."

The woman looked confused.

"Madame,  we can't cancel the party. You are hosting it to promote your new cooking show. Cooking the Alice Way."

The woman reached for something on the kitchen island and held it up. 

"To promote your new cooking book."

Alice squinted but could see herself on the cover, smiling and holding a wooden spoon. 

The background of the cookbook was her kitchen and she was standing in front of her kitchen island. She looked so fake.

Alice pretended like she knew what the woman was talking about.

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

The woman gave a weak smile. 

"It's Wendy."

Alice paused, satisfied with the answer.

"I see. Well, very nice to meet you Wendy."

Wendy looked confused--her eyebrows furrowing in response.

"Madame, I've been working for you for the past ten years."