"He doesn't like...Okay maybe he does." Jerry said as he watched Wren take a bite out of the roast that I had offered him, before completing polishing off the whole potato.

"Good man. Let me get you some more. Want to try some chicken as well?" I asked, looking down at him as I scooped some more potatoes onto my plate.

"He doesn't like chicken either." Shar spoke up this time, both her and Jerry zoned in on what was happening. They watched as he opened his mouth, waiting for some chicken. I placed a little piece in his mouth, watching as he opened his mouth again for some more. "Maybe he likes that too. He likes what you like sweetie." Shar said as she smiled at me.

"Yeah. I'll put some on my plate bud, then you can help yourself okay?" I placed some more chicken on my plate before beginning to eat myself, relaxing into the chair I was in as Wren happily sat eating.

"Well, as cool as that is, have you sorted this out yet." Mel's voiced interrupted the clattering of the cutlery as we all ate, pointing between Emily and me.

"Can you leave it?" I muttered, shoving some chicken in my mouth and chewing aggressively. Emily's eyes didn't look up, seemingly embarrassed that Mel had brought our problems to the dinner table.

"Jerry mentioned the two of you were close. Do you want a session?" Shar asked, looking over us both. Shannon's a psychologist, focused mainly on relationship counselling.

"No." I spoke on behalf of us both. 

"Seems like you need it." Emily muttered under her breath, but it still managed to reach me. I let it go as I clenched my jaw, shaking my head at Shannon as she offered me a wink before getting involved in the other conversation that was currently keeping everyone else on the table entertained. Seemed like Mel was trying to save herself as she offered a distraction from Emily and I.

"Come on little man, let's go and wash our hands." I spoke as I lifted him off me and placed him on the floor before standing and picking up my plate to take it into the kitchen. My hand rested on Wren's head as he walked closely beside me, holding onto my leg once we had stopped at the sink. I picked him up and placed him beside it, running the tap until it was the right temperature. "Go on then, show me how good you are at washing your hands." I said as he smiled brightly and put his hands under the tap. He got frustrated when he couldn't get any soap out so I pumped some out for him and then he continued happily. I held the towel as I waited for him to finish up and wrapped his hands in it, tubbing the towel gently around his small hands. "You're the best hand washer I've ever met, just don't tell your Mum."I whispered, pulling away as I heard footsteps.

I dried my hands off as I turned to lean on the side, looking up at Jerry. I placed an arm around Wren so he wouldn't move, not wanting him to fall off.

"We've hit a rough patch." I sighed, already knowing what he wanted to talk about. "She won't tell me what I've done."

"Don't go silent on her too. Keep on talking. You have to try and keep the communication going. That is something you never want to stop doing, okay? I promise. Communication is the best thing, even if it's raw. Let it happen. You need to talk it out." He explained as he brought his plate closer to the sink, motioning for me to move out of the way.

"I just don't know what I've done. I'm really trying, she just won't fucking talk to me." I groaned, hearing a plate hit the table behind us harshly as I turned to meet Emily's glare. She marched away. "Great." I muttered.

"Don't. Let her calm down first." Jerry stopped me, picking up Wren and placing him in my arms. "Go and play." He said, dismissing me.

"Who knew your Dad was so bossy, huh?" I groaned as I put Wren on my shoulders. I made my way towards the living room, taking him off my shoulders and placing him on the floor and grabbing his bright blue box of toys from the side of the sofa.

"Kia." His small voice said.

"Yes buddy?" I asked as I took some of his toy cars out and rolled them along the floor towards him.

"I need a toilet." He whispered, nervously.

"That's okay bud. It's really good that you told me. Come on let's go and find your Mum." I said, grabbing his hand as he stood up, and making our way back to the dining room where Mel, Laurel and Shar were all still talking.

"You should have seen her face when she started falling for her. Picture perfect." Mel smirked at me as we entered, making me squint my eyes at her.

"Wren needs the toilet, Shar."

"Oh! He told you, good boy Wren. Well done." She said happily as she took Wren away.

"Can you stop bringing things up Mel. That wasn't right. We were both the topic of conversation at the dinner table, you fucking dick." I sneered at her.

"Then sort it out. I didn't have to say anything for everyone to feel the fucking tension between the two of you. Go and fuck her already. She's clearly frustrated, and god knows you need it." She teased, brushing off my tone.

"Fine. But I'm not going to fuck her. I'm going to talk." I dismissed her wondering thoughts.

"Sure, sure. Go and talk."