Right Down the Line

"To be honest, I just sleep in old t-shirts and boxers," Ray said as he fished through some drawers.

"But-aha!"

"Ray, why does your solution involve digging through my drawers?" Egon said.

Ray turned and held up a button down flannel pajama shirt, blue with white stripes.

"Here, you can wear these, they're much nicer than the other options" he said, passing you the shirt and matching pants. Your ears began to warm.

"Um well if Egon doesn't mind," you said slowly, turning to gauge the reaction of the tall man standing behind you, who was repeatedly pushing on the bridge of his glasses to hide the redness growing on his face.

"There's no helping it I suppose." he said, turning his back towards you and starting for the lab.

Ray smirked at you. "Good," he said. "Go ahead and put them on!"

"Right now? I was going to read a bit and-"

"Yeah, it's getting late. And to make sure they work."

You walked to the bathroom and began to change. Egon's blushing face hadn't escaped you, and it had given you a burst of confidence. You slipped on the pajamas, which were softer than you expected, and larger. You imagined Egon's tall frame and the fact that he regularly slept in these and began to blush as your hands brushed across the fabric.

Down the hall, Egon was questioning Ray, whispering with gritted teeth.

"What are you trying to do?"

"What, you expect me to give her a pair of my boxers and an old Columbia shirt? Actually now that you mention it she would look pretty cute-"

The conversation was interrupted by the sound of you opening the door down the hall.

"Um they're kind of big but they'll work," you said, fidgeting with a button.

Egon's eyes were glued on you, on how his pants were far too long despite your failed attempts to roll them up, how his shirt hung from your frame practically drowning you, the lapels gently tracing over your collarbones and revealing your decollete.

Meanwhile Ray examined both of your reactions, admiring his matchmaking handiwork.

"Welp," he said clapping his hands. "Let's get back to work!"

"Oh- right." said Egon rigidly, his attention snapping away from you.

For the next few hours you attempted to unwind, you ate a bowl of cereal, flipped on the tv, read a bit, then got ready for bed. Your attempts to relax were futile, your mind was so preoccupied on your conversation with Ray, Egon's avoidant behavior and what to say to him.

It was well after midnight when you finally decided to go to bed. "This is so weird," you said aloud as you finally crawled under the covers of Peter's bed.

Meanwhile in the lab, Ray was pestering Egon.

"I cannot believe you've been ignoring her. She noticed, you know." There was a pause.

"She did?"

"Of course she did! You made it blatantly obvious. You hurt her feelings"

"That wasn't my intention, I just thought that-"