Chapter 9

You say on a very luxurious couch with plusher cushions the formed perfectly around your bottom. The comfort was relaxing...at least it was meant to be. But you couldn't help it, you were fidgeting with your fingers. Tangling them up together in figurative knots. Your (e/c) eyes dart from one direction of the big office room to the next.

Why did Arthur bring you here? Just to talk? And at the Palace of Justice of all places? What's going on?

Questions just kept piling up in your brain, each one unanswered which only fueled your anxiety. And speaking of Arthur, where did he go? All he did was tell you to wait for him in this room until he returned but he never showed up.

Hang on...now that you think about it. He never mentioned that he worked at the Palace of Justice. Not anything about work other than his coworkers.

Waiting in this room didn't seem so bad, you passed the time by staring at the massive fire eating away at the logs that were keeping it alive. Or your stare out the nearest window at the stars that winked at you as if to reassure you that they are watching over you to make sure nothing will happen. You smiled at that notion. Cause staring at the stars brought back amazing memories of you sitting by your window with Esmé—

The sound of footsteps clacking against the stone floor echoed outside in the hallway, signaling that Arthur has returned and can finally tell you whatever he wanted to say so you can get out of here.

The click of a lock caught your attention as you turned to see the door open. You immediately stood up.

"There you are Arthur! I was wondering where you went! You've been gone for a bit—" you cut yourself off when you didn't meet your familiar kind green eyes. Instead you are faced with Claude Frollo in his usual attire, his dark black hole for eyes staring deep into your soul. "Judge Frollo! Forgive me, my friend must've put me in the wrong room! Excuse me—"

"He did not put you in the wrong room." His deep voice rattled your bones.

"Pardon?" You whispered, your whole body refusing to listen to you when you mentally were screaming at yourself to run. "I don't understand—"

"Mr. Cartier brought you here on my order as I wish to speak with you. Do you know why I brought you here today Miss (last name)?" Frollo walked past you to stand in front of the infernal flames of his enormous fireplace, his bony long hands linked behind his straightened back.

You glared at the horrible man, knowing full well why you're here...

Esmé.

"I won't tell you anything." You said. "Not even if you have to tie me down or torture it out of me like you do those innocent gypsies you've killed."

"You are not here to tell me the whereabouts of the gypsies." His voice over powered yours. "At least not yet anyway." He turns towards you. "I have brought you here to save your soul."

"What? Save my...soul? Whatever for?" You looked at him with confusion and raised eyebrows.

"I have had my eyes on you for a long time Miss (Last Name). Ever since you were young." A chill went down your spine, fearing that you might know where this is going. "Don't fool yourself to assume that I'm infatuated with you." He looked you up and down with a look of disgust, how did he know what you were thinking? "No. You are here because of your father, Marcellus (Last Name)." Your whole body tensed up, the name of the man that was barely in your life ringing in your ears.

"What-I don't...I don't understand." You stuttered, the feeling of your hands getting tingly.

"Your father is one of the most powerful aristocrats known to the royal family and have been for decades so his reputation proceeds him when we met for the first time 18 years ago." Wait what? 18 years ago? You were like 5 around that time. You couldn't believe what you were hearing! Frollo knew all this time, he knew about your family history and didn't say anything...until now.