Chapter 2

Today was another day here in Paris, the usual everyday customers and hearing Alice gossip about new things around town. She was currently telling you a fight Eloise's husband got into last night. If only she knew what really happened that night...but you couldn't concern yourself with that...not when you kept thinking about Esmé. You still find it hard to believe that he was there to stop you from being defiled by those men. If he wasn't...you didn't even want to think about it...but you felt eternally grateful to him. Just thanking him didn't feel it was enough. You needed to do something...actions speak louder than words.

"Still can't quite get over why Eloise's husband got into a fight on the streets. I mean his friends apparently took him home with him knocked out cold." Alice sat behind your counter, already been made herself comfortable.

"Well at least no one was badly hurt." You commented, getting money from a customer then started sorting through the sweets on your wooden counter.

"But that would've been really juicy though if there was a bit of blood." Alice sagged in her seat with a pouty look on her face.

"You know Alice if you love that kind of stuff so much, why not try reading a book? They tell a lot of adventures and romance that's up your alley." You chuckled, rolling your eyes at how over dramatic Alice was being.

"Oh ha ha very funny. You know us women weren't educated like the men are. And besides I like watching the crazy stuff happen." She scoffed at the idea of her reading a book. "Well unlike you, you were taught how to read even though it's not allowed."

"My mother was a woman of curiousity so she taught herself how to read when she was little. So she taught me the moment I could walk." You shrugged your shoulders. "My offer is still on the table if you want me to teach you how to read. It'll be worth it!"

"Trust me I'm sure." She says, crossing her arms. "But anyway on my way here I saw that handsome gypsy boy."

"Really?" You perked up at the mention of Esmé, your heart going a million miles per hour.

Alice raised her eyebrows at your sudden outburst. You blushed with embarrassment, feeling like an idiot.

"I mean, I know who you're talking about. W-what about him?" You tried to make yourself look busy with organizing your baked goods that were on the counter, avoiding eye contact with Alice at ALL COST!! That woman can read you like a book.

"Weeellll..." you could feel her staring you down, making this awkward for you. "I saw the guards messing with him again." You whipped your head to look at her, eyebrows furrowed.

"What? Why?" Just thinking about that started to make your blood boil.

"I don't know. Maybe they were bored. They started accusing the gypsy of stealing the money people paid him." She lounged on the seat, her expression neutral.

You didn't say anything. You know full well that the guards in town were no better at treating the gypsies like garbage than Judge Frollo. Just because they are high ranked in power doesn't mean you have the right to abuse it on others. How are gypsies evil? One literally saved your life and was a complete gentleman...

"Who are you thinking about?~" suddenly Alice leaned in close to you with a 'innocent' smile on her face as she batted her eyelashes.

"No one!" You said that a little too fast...damn it!

"Uh huh..." Alice kept her suspicious look on you, knowing full well that you were lying. "Come on! Tell me! Who's the lucky guy." She nudge your arm.

"There's no one. I don't know what you're talking about." You tried to laugh it off but you know that once Alice is set on something she will dig and dig until she finds out what's on your mind. Sometimes it gets a bit infuriating.