Chapter 8

"You! Bell ringer! What are you doing down here?!" You look up when you heard the commotion.

You see Quasimodo stumbling away, accidentally knocking down one of the lamps.

"Haven't you caused enough trouble already?!" You watched him scurry back towards the back door, this was your chance to talk to him.

"Quasi wait!" You put down Djali to chase after him, Esmé following behind cause he too recognized the mysterious boy that you protected at the festival. Seeing him for some reason sparked something in him. Like he wanted to learn more about this unique friend of yours cause once again you always end up surprising him. He never would've thought you'd be friends with the bell ringer of Norte dame that people apparently believed him as a folk tale or a myth to scare children.

It's kind of exciting!

"Quasi please! I need to talk to you!" You chase him up a flight of stairs, your voice bouncing off the walls.

He was fast on his feet since he knows every twist and turn in this cathedral but you kept up with him as you ended up at the top of the building, still on his tail. You see him make another turn into the room of bells, you picked up your skirt and also rounded the corner to almost run into him when you almost didn't notice random three gargoyles by the entrance.

"Quasi! I finally caught up with you!" You panted, resting your hands on your knee and one of the gargoyles head.

"Uh (Name)! What a pleasant surprise! I'm sorry you came to see me at the worst time! I have chores to do. I-it was nice...seeing...you...again." Quasi said with the fakest most awkward smile, like he was really fighting to act like none of the cruelty just happened to him. Like he never left the bell tower in the first place. It faltered immediately when he saw the same man that helped you and him at the festival...the same one he saw you kissing. The man looked back at him with big green eyes that looked to be filled with wonder. He blinked and gave a slight tilt of his head as if to silently ask why he was being stared at. A gypsy...he hesitantly stepped backwards then scurried up the stairs to his room.

"Quasi please! I need to talk to you! I'm really sorry about what happened this afternoon! I had no idea it would turn out that way! It's my fault for pushing you to come outside! I never intended the townspeople to be that cruel!" You raced after him, climbing the ladder to his room. Esmé carrying Djali soon after, pausing when he is welcomed with an extravagant room.

You catch Quasi in the middle of his room with his back to you.

"Look Quasi...I am truly sorry. I promise you I won't push or pressure you into leaving here again. I just wanted you to be able to experience living a normal life amongst man because I believe that's where you truly belong. Not here cooped up in the church tower all by yourself. But...I want you to leave when you are most comfortable. So please...say you'll forgive me?" You pleaded.

You waited for him to respond as he slowly turned around, at first having a hard time making eye contact with you but finally revealed his blue-green eyes. Their presence already answering your question.

"Of course I forgive you (Name). But there's no need for you to apologize. Coming out was my choice not yours. So you don't need to blame yourself." He said all that with the most gentle way possible, matching his soft eyes.

You smiled softly at him and ran to immediately engulf him in your embrace.

"I promise I'll never let something like that happen to you again. Never." You whispered in his ear.

He smiled at how much you cared for him and his well being. He couldn't have asked for a better friend. He accepted your hug, wrapping his arms around you as well.